Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1

This little guy cought me by surprise. I was in the middle of changing camera settings when he came swimming by. I belive I took the picture in landscape mode, my mistake. But I think it came out ok. What setting should I be in when taking these kind of pictures?

J.A.Cornier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2

Not sure which camera you are using (no EXIF included), but if you want to use preset modes, the sports mode is best for moving objects. In this case the muskrat wasn't moving all that fast, so you probably didn't do badly - maybe a little loss in sharpness and slight overexposure. Spot metering or partial area metering would be better than full area metering when you are concentrating on a single object if you have control over that in preset modes, as would a relatively high ISO and shutter speed, but that is what the sports mode should select for you.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:58 PM   #3

(Spot metering or partial area metering would be better than full area metering)

I use a Sony A200. I just purchased it a month ago and I am still learning. I know I can use all the help I can get, so your input is very helpful. I am not at the point where I understand all the photo lingo yet. So i'm still at a loss. :crazy:
J.A.Cornier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:07 PM   #4

With your camera you can press the function button and get a menu on the screen that will allow you to set the active focus points and the metering area (spot, center-weighted, or area) in the sport and other modes. See your manual for more detail. Also look up Steve's review of the camera which functions as a tutorial and will take you step by step through the menu choices. In a pinch you can just use the Auto (Green) Mode and let the camera make the decisions for you.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote