Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Hippy bird, running along the beach...

Caught this Love child, Snowy Egret becoming one with nature. Some, and we need not mention names, call this canopy feeding, but what do they know?
Attached Images

Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Caught this Love child, Snowy Egret becoming one with nature. Some, and we need not mention names, call this canopy feeding, but what do they know?
Snowy Egrets can and do use a variety of foraging techniques. I once watched a Snowy Egret learn this behavior from a Reddish Egret over a space of two or three days. This is only the second time I have seen a Snowy use it. Nice documentation - you are an alert observer.

What lens are you using - your EXIFs on these and others show 800mm @ f11, but a maximum aperture of f1.0 (?). Are you digiscoping with your Swarovski?

Last edited by penolta; Aug 26, 2009 at 3:56 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Snowy Egrets can and do use a variety of foraging techniques. I once watched a Snowy Egret learn this behavior from a Reddish Egret over a space of two or three days. This is only the second time I have seen a Snowy use it. Nice documentation - you are an alert observer.

What lens are you using - your EXIFs on these and others show 800mm @ f11, but a maximum aperture of f1.0 (?). Are you digiscoping with your Swarovski?
I enjoyed taking these images more than you can imagine. He was indeed running up and down the beach like a little kid who just learned a new activity.

If you note, this is a Juvenile bird, you can tell by the yellowish legs. He didn't quite have the technique down, although he did catch some fish.

So when I saw him, I made elaborate efforts to avoid him spotting me. The shots are all from 200 feet or more. And yes, these were taken with the Swarovski spotting Scope.

The marsh I shoot in is not a place where anyone but Willets and Rails of the larger predator birds choose to raise the kids, but at this time of the year, the Juvenile Herons start showing up.

BTW, the EXIF has the f-stop wrong. It's f10, but to use the light meter on the D2x you have to manually punch in the f stop, and they have no f10 choice...

I do have quite a number of close up sequences of Snowys in action. The optics on the Swarovski will hold up against any lens.

Dave
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:30 PM   #4

Quote:
I enjoyed taking these images more than you can imagine. He was indeed running up and down the beach like a little kid who just learned a new activity.

If you note, this is a Juvenile bird, you can tell by the yellowish legs. He didn't quite have the technique down, although he did catch some fish.
Actually, I can imagine how much you enjoyed it. Snowys are interesting and occasionally even amusing birds to watch. However, if you will notice, the bird in the sequence and the other each still have breeding plumes, which neither immature nor juvenile birds would yet have acquired - these are left over from the last breeding season. Snowy Egrets of any age can have yellow behind the legs when not in the breeding season, as both of these do. Juveniles (as distinguished from immatures), on the other hand, have entirely greenish yellow legs.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:58 AM   #5

Does it remind you of your youth, Dave ?
Amazing detail from your kit !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTPegg View Post
Does it remind you of your youth, Dave ?
Amazing detail from your kit !!
Yes, indeed it does! A lot of emotional ties. I use to go to this marsh when I was about seven. I used to play on the trails, and run along the beach. When I rediscovered the place, 50 years later, I had forgotten all about the location. Only after shooting there for a year, did I realise it was the same place my father used to take me. All sorts of ancient flashbacks hit me, every time I'm there.

This last Snowy shot is part of a series of about ten shots, where this bird, patient, very patient, after twenty minutes, suddenly took three sea robins in about ten seconds. I was VERY lucky to grab the whole sequence.

Dave
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:26 PM   #7

Super shots Dave! I could swear I heard Jefferson Airplane playing in the background looking at these.

Cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:26 AM   #8
NHL

Cool...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote