Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:31 PM   #1

Default The Least Sandpiper - The little guy

Here are some pictures of the Least Sandpiper. The smallest of the Sandpiper clan (although, the semi-palmated sandpiper might make such a claim.)

He's all of six inches long, and can be distinguished from his colleagues by his yellow legs.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2

Nice shots, 3 and 5 are my favourites.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:12 AM   #3

Nice series ... I haven't seen one of these before. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
Nice series ... I haven't seen one of these before. Cheers, Dan
Thanks guys. I'm going to post on a number of species of small shore birds. Semi-Palmated Sandpiper next. Of course, hard to tell the difference between them and this guy...

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Super Moderator

nice set, 3 and 5 are my faves too. particularly #3
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:03 PM   #6

A very nice series. As the others have stated # 3 is a great picture. Just a question; Would it be improved any by cloning out the out of focus bird in the upper right. I know it's the bane of every wildlife photographers existence to be constantly aware of the background clutter. Sometimes it is avoidable and sometimes it's just not possible to eliminate it on site. I keep holding my hand up to the picture to block the background bird and it seems to help keep the focus on the main subject.
I really like the picture because it is not a static pose. The bird is doing something. I was just wondering if anyone else was slightly distracted by the background bird.

Nice series I can't wait to see your next posts.

All the best,
Steve

P.S. I especially like your framing of the bird in the 4th shot. Very nice.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
A very nice series. As the others have stated # 3 is a great picture. Just a question; Would it be improved any by cloning out the out of focus bird in the upper right. I know it's the bane of every wildlife photographers existence to be constantly aware of the background clutter. Sometimes it is avoidable and sometimes it's just not possible to eliminate it on site. I keep holding my hand up to the picture to block the background bird and it seems to help keep the focus on the main subject.
I really like the picture because it is not a static pose. The bird is doing something. I was just wondering if anyone else was slightly distracted by the background bird.

Nice series I can't wait to see your next posts.

All the best,
Steve

P.S. I especially like your framing of the bird in the 4th shot. Very nice.
Much thanks. Oddly enough, it never occured to me to clone out the other bird, and yes, it DOES work better...

I have this weird defacto attitude that whatever is in a wildlife shot, stays in a wildlife shot. This is really the first time I've realised I even have this attitude. Thanks for making me think about the question, even if I don't do anything about it.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:51 PM   #8

I only mentioned it because I used to feel the same way. Then the local wildlife refuge manager, who is a big time nature photographer, presented a session on Nature Photography and got me to start thinking about it. You can't always do anything about the background, but at least I am aware of it and I try to plan my shots around it. Some times you just get lucky.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:28 PM   #9

Great captures. The beak-to-tail length of the sandpipers in Hong Kong are around 8 to 11 inches long. So, the least sandpiper is not really that 'least' compared to the ones we have in Hong Kong. As a matter of fact, it looks pretty 'well stuffed' in your shots. Pete
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:56 AM   #10

Very nice! I like #4 best.....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote