Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1

Default Red-tailed Hawk

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in my den using the computer when I saw some school children on the way home looking at something in the front yard. When i looked out the window this is what I saw.

So I ended up crawling out the front door and hiding behind the post to the far left in the picture to get the shots of the hawk. I was using my SX10 IS and 270EX flash since he was in the shadows from the trees.

He was enjoying his dinner.

With the long lens of the SX-10 I was able to get a nice close-up.

hwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2

Wow! Excellent!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:53 PM   #3

This is an sureal series of images, which I'm pleased to note is becoming more and more common. Used to be that there was actually a bounty on hawks, and when I was a kid, there were very few to be seen. And you captured this urban drama quite well. Dinner or no dinner, these guys spook easily.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Dinner or no dinner, these guys spook easily.

Dave
He wasn't very nervous. He stayed there feeding for 45 minutes while I took 70+ pictures and numerous people wlaked up and down the sidewalk along the street.

Interestingly, most of the people walking along the street did not even notice him. Fortunately, the ones who did notice him also saw me and moved on without disturbing him.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwarnock View Post
He wasn't very nervous. He stayed there feeding for 45 minutes while I took 70+ pictures and numerous people wlaked up and down the sidewalk along the street.

Interestingly, most of the people walking along the street did not even notice him. Fortunately, the ones who did notice him also saw me and moved on without disturbing him.
I should have known. This is a sophisticated urban hawk. He was probably thinking of how much he could get on the open market, and then said, "What the hell, I'll eat it myself...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:30 AM   #6

Thats one squirrel who wont be saving any nuts for winter. And those are some talons on the hawk. Getting them squeezed on you, being the size of a squirrel, it would be like getting stabbed 5 or 10 times at once.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Nice capture! And talk about good timing... I see these guys flying around from time to time, but never have I seen one get this close to a house.

I'm wondering what you think of your 270EX flash? I need to get one for my SX10, and the 270EX is more affordable than any of the others that seem to be recommended. I'd love to hear your opinions.
KristyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:46 PM   #8

KristyT: I've only had the 270EX for about 2 weeks so I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly. The size is perfect for the SX10. I have some other flashes that would work but they are too large.

It seems to have plenty of range as evidenced in the hawk pictures. I was about 20 feet from him and in some of the pictures it was obvious that the flash was overriding the ambient light at 2:00 in the afternoon.

The fact that it has a tele adjustment and also a couple different bounce positions were the features that I liked. Since I am the "official family photographer" for my wifes rather large family I will get a chance to test the bounce function when we all get together for Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:14 AM   #9
NHL

Great series...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:36 AM   #10

hwarnock, yes, I saw a pic online that a guy took of himself with a huge flash he liked to use despite its size. The 430exII, which seems to come up frequently in my searches, looks quite a bit bigger than the 270. It's definitely more expensive! It sounds like this flash has the things I am looking for, and being a Canon product it will of course work with the camera controls. Thanks for the reply!
KristyT is offline   Reply With Quote