Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Bald Eagle Stalk part 1

Bald Eagle Stalk part 1

Sometimes a stalk plan works just like you planed it. Not often in my case, I normally have to adjust during the stalk. I also have found out Bald Eagles & Golden Eagles seem to be the most difficult to stalk in close enough for a shot or two. Most of the time what works best is a ambush. This time it worked just like I planed it. I found this Eagle from about 1/2 mile away with my spotting scope. I laid out a plan to approach him in a small canyon where I would be out of site, and then when I got to the top of the ridge I would still be out of site and then I would only half to move to my left while the back of his head was towards me. Not the best light, thin and heavy clouds and it didn't look like there would be any time with out the clouds. This was to gooood of a opportunity to pass up. Put the BushHawk around my shoulder and off I went.

When I got to the top of the ridge. I could barely see the orange from his beak so I waited until he turned before I started slowly moving to my left to get a clear view.

2 steps to my left and now I have to wait until I see the back of his head before I try and move again.

YUP!!! I am in a good spot now.

Continued in the next post
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Default Bald Eagle Stalk Part #1 continued

He turned and I looked up and it looked like I might get some clear sky if I waited a bit. More with different light in part 2. So far I have about 1 1/2 hours invested but I am thinking it has been a productive hour and a half so no problem with waiting for more shots with a little different light