Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:53 PM   #1

Default New batch of Osprey...

Here's a couple shots I got last spring of two juvenile Osprey and one of the parents.
hope you enjoy them:

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:44 PM   #2

Fun to see the whole family.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:31 PM   #3

They are all nice, GW, but I REALLY like the first two..

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Nice set John! I think you nailed the 1st one - very sharp and great light. #2 a close second. Regards, Dan
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:19 PM   #5

Very nice indeed. Do they build stands for the birds to nest in or are those just power poles? Though I don't see any lines.

I love pics #1 & 2. Great job.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Very nice indeed. Do they build stands for the birds to nest in or are those just power poles? Though I don't see any lines.

Steve
Thank you for all the kind comments guys. I appreciate all the encouragement I can get. The first two were taken with a tripod and the other two hand held. Amazing what a steady mount can do!

Steve, I don't know the whole story behind the nesting poles (there are several of them in the neighborhood on private land.) I know these were put up to try to keep the Osprey from nesting on the power poles. it can be quite a problem sometimes. They are a protected species so once they establish a nest it can't be disturbed. We had a nest for a long time at my work site, and it caught fire 3 time in a five year period causing a lot of damage. last time it happened the city finally put up this contraption to discourage them from rebuilding. So far its worked. the shot below was taken a few days after the fire, the pair you see are the fledglings that were hatched there. They seemed to be unsure of what to do now. one left after a couple days and the other one hung around for about a week before it left the area.

Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:06 PM   #7

Quote:

Steve
Thank you for all the kind comments guys. I appreciate all the encouragement I can get. The first two were taken with a tripod and the other two hand held. Amazing what a steady mount can do!

Steve, I don't know the whole story behind the nesting poles (there are several of them in the neighborhood on private land.) I know these were put up to try to keep the Osprey from nesting on the power poles. it can be quite a problem sometimes. They are a protected species so once they establish a nest it can't be disturbed. We had a nest for a long time at my work and it caught fire 3 time in a five year period causing a lot of damage. last time it happened the city finally put up this contraption to discourage them from rebuilding. So far its worked. the shot below was taken a few days after the fire, the pair you see are the fledglings that were hatched there. They seemed to be unsure of what to do now. one left after a couple days and the other one hung around for about a week before it left the area.

Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:13 PM   #8

Quote:

Steve

Steve, I don't know the whole story behind the nesting poles (there are several of them in the neighborhood on private land.) I know these were put up to try to keep the Osprey from nesting on the power poles. it can be quite a problem sometimes. They are a protected species so once they establish a nest it can't be disturbed. We had a nest for a long time at my work and it caught fire 3 time in a five year period causing a lot of damage. last time it happened the city finally put up this contraption to discourage them from rebuilding. So far its worked. the shot below was taken a few days after the fire, the pair you see are the fledglings that were hatched there. They seemed to be unsure of what to do now. one left after a couple days and the other one hung around for about a week before it left the area.

Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Steve
Ospreys, like many other raptors, were severely affected by the widespread use of DDT, which concentrated as it moved up the food chain and interfered with successful reproduction. Along with the Bald Eagles and Peregrine Falcons, Ospreys disappeared completely from much of California, and and are only now returning as breeding birds, aided by various conservation strategies. Ospreys readily take to nesting platforms, which were (and still are) constructed in many places to encourage the ospreys to reoccupy lost territory through providing safe nesting places for them.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote