Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:41 PM   #1

Default your opinion please...

I'm trying to improve ability to crop my photos the most pleasing way I can.
While I have improved some in the past year, I still have quite a ways to go.
I realize part of my problem is in trying to have my subject as prominent as I can and sometimes crop out what makes the photo work. I did these lat year, two different shots of the same bird and reversed one, thinking they might make a nice pair on the wall. since I have lost the original files there isn't much I can do about it now but, would still be curious what others think.

After resizing and posting these as jpegs, the image quality has degraded so, just pretend theses are sharp high quality shots.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:52 PM   #2

John, I really don't see anything wrong with these. You might have tried to include as much of the branch on the right photo as you did on the left. Without looking at your "before" photos it's hard to critique the cropping you did. Overall, you did good. You captured the subject, the perch, background foliage and water. Hope this helps. Cheers, Dan
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:55 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree with dan. balancing it out a bit, by including equal branch spacing and empty space in the front would help.

my biggest problem is the DoF is different between the 2 shots.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:04 PM   #4

Thank you Dan and Hard,
You know... I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, the DOF is different. one shot @f:6.7 the other @ f:8... and now it just glares at me! looks bad. as for cropping the branch different, (I learnt better now) that's what I get for not comparing the two close enough to start with. I seem to get tunnel vision when looking at a photo and only see precisely what I'm concerned with and not the whole picture. I do the same thing when shooting too. You'd think I'd learn by now.

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jan 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:12 PM   #5

Here is one more. I know the subject is boring and it lacks the color needed for an interesting photo, all that aside, how's the crop look to you?
practice practice practice...

Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:20 PM   #6

GW, I like this last one the best.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:46 PM   #7

The crop is fine, John. Good use of Rule of Thirds. Horizontal branch and vertical subject work well together. Cheers, Dan
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:37 PM   #8

In your first two shots my eye was immediately draw to the photo on the right. I think because you left a little more room for the gaze of the bird. I find that the subjects eye is the most important thing. In this case the eye of the Egret is in the middle of the frame L to R, That leaves room for the face to be looking to the left, there is space for the gaze. In the other photo there is very little room for the bird to look so, to me, it feels cramped. The branch in the shot, to me, doesn't play that big of a role as long as there is room in front of the subject.

The third photo is fantastic. the bird is looking up into a nice space. As a result my eye wants to follow the gaze and see what it is the bird is looking at. It creates some mystery, since I can't see what the bird is focused on.

Good job on that one.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:42 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i think the crop on your third shot is perfect. he is placed upon the branch at the approximate intersection of the thirds and is looking into the frame. can't ask for more really.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:19 PM   #10

Thank you guys,
I really appreciate the critique! Its encouraging to know that what I saw in the last one was right on.

Steve, yes, I see exactly you mean. Funny how when I look at some of my photos, I can tell something isn't right but, I don't what it is. (when its pointed out it all looks so obvious) with these tips, I have a better idea of what to look for besides just dimensions and divisions.
Thank you all so much, I'm sure I'll have more to run by you in the near future.