Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default You may not believe it, but we have wildlife here

Decide to take some pics of a gull that decide to pose for me. Not my normal thing, but decide to give it a go. Yes NYC has wildlife, believe or not.
Attached Images
    

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Nice shot of a ring bill gull. I like the background lighting, looks fiery.
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Thanks Goldwinger,

It was a great sunset in NYC, the light was beautiful. So it lit up the red building in Brooklyn quite well giving the fiery effect. I also used a warm filter haze 1, normally in winter, the light is very harsh here.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Thanks Goldwinger,

It was a great sunset in NYC, the light was beautiful. So it lit up the red building in Brooklyn quite well giving the fiery effect. I also used a warm filter haze 1, normally in winter, the light is very harsh here.
With all due respect, you should visit my net site. Most of my shots are taken within the boundries of NYC, and the shores of Brooklyn, or Pelham Bay in the Bronx, have a hell of a lot more birds than Gulls...

One quick example is that of the eleven species of Heron in the US, nine of them breed in Brooklyn...

We also have a dozen species of Hawks.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Chato,

I seen them by jfk close at floyd bennett field. But on this side of the river, there is generally not much wildlife. Not to much even in Central Park if you take out the zoo.

But normally the only things we get over here are the pigeons. There were allot of gulls out today.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Chato,

I seen them by jfk close at floyd bennett field. But on this side of the river, there is generally not much wildlife. Not to much even in Central Park if you take out the zoo.

But normally the only things we get over here are the pigeons. There were allot of gulls out today.
You are mistaken...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Dave,

Mistaken about manhattan not having much birds besides pigions, sparrows and gulls close to the river.

Or that there are hawks by floyd bennett? It may be a falcon. Not a bird expert.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Dave,

Mistaken about manhattan not having much birds besides pigions, sparrows and gulls close to the river.

Or that there are hawks by floyd bennett? It may be a falcon. Not a bird expert.
I've shot, Starlings, Pigions, Blue Jays, Crows, Red Tailed Hawks, Perigrine Falcons, House Sparrows, Mourning Doves, Towhee's, Cardinals, etc, etc, all in Manhattan. Central Park has far more birds than you think, and in the various neighborhoods in the city, there are huge areas behind the buildings in which all sorts of other birds live. For example, it's rare to see a mourning Dove on the street, and yet they are VERY common behind the buildings.

Heck, I've even seen a confused Virginia Rail on the Bowery...

As for the Brooklyn shore, I've identified over 400 species of birds, which is more than any place else in the continental US.

Wanna see wild birds? Come to Brooklyn NY...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

They hide well manhattan. I guess you really need to look for them and know where they like to live. I have seen an owl once, and couple of blue jays in central park. But they are very distinct.

I admit, I confuse doves with pigeons really do now know if a white dove is in the same family of bird as the pigeons.

Thanks for the info, I will need to look more carefully when I romp around manhattan.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They hide well manhattan. I guess you really need to look for them and know where they like to live. I have seen an owl once, and couple of blue jays in central park. But they are very distinct.

I admit, I confuse doves with pigeons really do now know if a white dove is in the same family of bird as the pigeons.

Thanks for the info, I will need to look more carefully when I romp around manhattan.
Nah, a white Pigion is not a dove...
(Except that all pigions are technically "Doves)

There's a guy I know, whose a photographer, who has taken the most outrageous image of birds in Manhattan. A Red Tailed Hawk sitting on a garbage can after killing a pigion. He knows how to find the birds, but he's an awful photographer.

You really have to go out to Plum Beach, Floyd Bennet, Jamaica Bay, and shoot some incredibly exotic birds.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.