Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:52 PM   #1

Default just a question to all

Ok, Ive been photographing wildlife along with most other forms of photgraphy for some time now. In early 2007 I switched to shooting everything in RAW format. Now Im so used to it and its second nature. However many times I wonder why I am doing so. With kids portraits inside I see the benefits, exposure and correcting color etc but with wildlife I'm losing photos because I only get 11 shots or less out of my camera in consecutive shooting. With jpeg the camera can do on average 38. So how many in here shoot their wildlife in jpeg format? I am seriously thinking of going back to jpegs for wildlife and a lot of other outdoor shots.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:03 PM   #2

i shoot pretty much everything in JPEG. RAW offers some advantages in terms of balancing whites and colors, and gives you a bit more flexibility in editing, but from what i can tell, there's not enough difference in the end result to be worth sucking up the memory, especially since i don't do portraits or weddings, etc. and, as you mention, RAW does not lend itself particularly well to shooting wildlife, where you may want to rattle off more than a dozen frames in succession...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:44 PM   #3

yes thats what I was thinking, now Im wondering what to set the camera jpeg settings on. So far Ive set up with sharpening up two notches, color up 1 and contrast in auto setting Any thoughts?

Last edited by aladyforty; Feb 12, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:26 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Personally I shoot all action/sports/wildlife in jpg for the reasons you mention. I would keep sharpening down as generally in camera sharpening isn't great and can really boost noise (fine if you are only working at the lowest ISO settings). As for other settings, it really depends on your personal taste to get the desired results. I would keep contrast where you have it as increasing it can lead to clipping highlights or shadows.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:44 AM   #5
djb

For wildlife I always use raw. I've had a quite a few times where i could recover highlights in raw that would have been totally lost using jpeg. As for continuous shooting, I don't usually use more than a 5 to 7 shot burst so with the canon 40D the buffer is plenty big enough. For family phgotos, i use jpeg.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:32 AM   #6

arrrrgggg, today I tried jpeg again and for the life of me I seem to have forgotten how I processed them before, I have got so set in my ways that I can actually process the RAWS quicker than this :-)
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:13 PM   #7

Just for my own needs, I shoot everything in RAW. I find it makes a ton of difference in PP, as Denis mentioned. If I find I want to take a long sequence of shots, all I have to do is push one button and my camera will change to jpeg as long as I hold the shutter open, then it switches back to RAW. However, if you are getting good, clear, sharp and don't need to do a lot of PP, I don't see a problem with using jpeg. photos in jpeg

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:52 PM   #8

I shoot all my shots jpeg. I tried RAW for about 6 months. I actually shot in JPEG/RAW mode. But I found that as long as I had the exposure set correctly the RAW files were just a big waste of memory. I understand the benefits of RAW and I think in certain situations it can a better choice. But, I don't think I have missed out on a shot because I wasn't shooting RAW. I missed out for dumb reasons like not checking my settings or not compensating for the light, something you still have to do in RAW. I guess I would rather learn to recognize and adjust for the conditions in the field than try and recreate the conditions back at home. I hope that last statment didn't sound snide, it wasn't meant as such. All I am saying is, the better your photo/light sense is , the better you photos will be no matter what method/mode you use. Just MHO.

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
I shoot all my shots jpeg. I tried RAW for about 6 months. I actually shot in JPEG/RAW mode. But I found that as long as I had the exposure set correctly the RAW files were just a big waste of memory. I understand the benefits of RAW and I think in certain situations it can a better choice. But, I don't think I have missed out on a shot because I wasn't shooting RAW. I missed out for dumb reasons like not checking my settings or not compensating for the light, something you still have to do in RAW. I guess I would rather learn to recognize and adjust for the conditions in the field than try and recreate the conditions back at home. I hope that last statment didn't sound snide, it wasn't meant as such. All I am saying is, the better your photo/light sense is , the better you photos will be no matter what method/mode you use. Just MHO.

Steve

Thanks for the input, well I used to shoot jpegs about three or four years ago then one day I got some pretty rare shots in jpeg and found myself wishing I shot them RAW as I would have got better detail having not set up the camera as well as I should have done. So I started shooting RAW, got hooked and have got set in my ways. Then after all this time I start thinking how much less work and how much more card space I would have so thought Id go back to jpegs just for the wildlife (I do a lot of kids photography so use RAW always for that) but I seem to have lost the ability to process the way I used to or maybe Ive just forgot, and maybe you are right, I do feel safe knowing its RAW shots.

think I will probably be a woos and stick with RAW but admire those who get it spot on with jpegs
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:40 PM   #10

Does anyone except me use tif anymore?
Tallgrass05 is offline   Reply With Quote