Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Thanks, Greg. My book doesn't mention the bill hence I went mainly size and the nostril hairs - both mentioned as ID factors. Dang. Thought I had one.
This one I know is a Downy.

I'll see if I can grab a shot of a Harry through the window sometime for ID purposes.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:08 AM   #12

Awesome... as with gjtoth, your detail is superb, excellent colour... Very well done!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Awesome... as with gjtoth, your detail is superb, excellent colour... Very well done!

Ned
Enough of the excellent detail and color stuff as this one is only for identification only.

I just took this through a dirty window, complete with screen with a hand held 1200mm EFL with the ISO cranked up in a vain effort to get enough shutter speed.

It does show the longer, more slender bill of the Harry, however.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Enough of the excellent detail and color stuff as this one is only for identification only.

I just took this through a dirty window, complete with screen with a hand held 1200mm EFL with the ISO cranked up in a vain effort to get enough shutter speed.

It does show the longer, more slender bill of the Harry, however.

Greg
Yeah... who needs all that detail anyways? And, color... Highly overrated!

Thanks for the info!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:41 PM   #15

In addition to the difference in overall size and bill size and shape, and in most parts of the country, there is also a difference in the outer tail feathers, which in Hairys are entirely white, and in Downys have a variable amount of black barring towards the end - Greg's example shows only one black spot (an incomplete bar) - usually there are more. There is also a difference in the voice - you would have to have heard both to tell them apart. There are probably other differences in behavior, too - after all, they have to tell each other apart!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
In addition to the difference in overall size and bill size and shape, and in most parts of the country, there is also a difference in the outer tail feathers, which in Hairys are entirely white, and in Downys have a variable amount of black barring towards the end - Greg's example shows only one black spot (an incomplete bar) - usually there are more. There is also a difference in the voice - you would have to have heard both to tell them apart. There are probably other differences in behavior, too - after all, they have to tell each other apart!
Heheheh! With you on this board, when I post shots of these boids, I will refer to them, as "Dis is dat little guy with a red spot on his hed, and he's hair legally. He makes a liven by bangen his hed inta trees"

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Heheheh! With you on this board, when I post shots of these boids, I will refer to them, as "Dis is dat little guy with a red spot on his hed, and he's hair legally. He makes a liven by bangen his hed inta trees"
Dave
I think most photographers would want to know what it is they are photographing - I wouldn't worry about slipping up or asking for help - it is a good way to learn, and I am always happy to be of help.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote