Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:40 PM   #1

Default Goldfish for lunch (Ducky) Surprise

Goldfish for lunch (Ducky) Surprise

YUP!!! this was a 1st for me.

Quemado Lake is located in the South Western part of New Mexico. Altitude is 7641 feet. The ice is starting to melt so I figured I might get a opportunity for something close to shore. These real cooool looking Duckies (Merganser) showed up and I was busy pressing the shutter when I saw one catch a GOLDFISH. I will repeat a GOLDFISH. I told my pretty wife (Barbara) and she gave me that "You are so full of Sh#@ look.

I looked up on Google "Quemado Lake Goldfish" and yes I found a lot of information. Here is one of the sites I found talking about the goldfish.

http://www.gilawilderness.com/sports...dogoldfish.htm

Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:42 PM   #2

Default Part # 2

Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:12 PM   #3

Wow!
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:13 PM   #4

Wonderful shots! Amazing that he could actually swallow a fish that large!

And not to critique anything, goldfish are rather common in lakes. People dump them out all the time, and they have no problem adapting. They are after all just another "Carp."

When I used to bowfish for Carp, I would "cheat" and look for the Goldfish that would hang out with them. Sometimes getting as large as 18 inches. Spot the Goldfish, and there are the Carp...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Wow!

Thanks for making me smile.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Wonderful shots! Amazing that he could actually swallow a fish that large!

And not to critique anything, goldfish are rather common in lakes. People dump them out all the time, and they have no problem adapting. They are after all just another "Carp."

When I used to bowfish for Carp, I would "cheat" and look for the Goldfish that would hang out with them. Sometimes getting as large as 18 inches. Spot the Goldfish, and there are the Carp...

Dave

I had never seen a Goldfish in a mountain lake.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyRoger View Post
I had never seen a Goldfish in a mountain lake.
Spotting fish of any kind takes a lot of practice. In New York, they're in just about every lake, and it's a hell of a lot colder here than Southern New Mexico. There's an Assisted Living Building in New York where I from time to time bring the dog to cheer people up. They have Koi and Goldfish in an outdoor pond, and they happily live outside through the entire Winter.

I read your link after making my post, and why they think Goldfish would have a hard time with cold is beyond me.

Whatever...

Marvelous shots! They would have been marvelous shots without the Gold fish - That fish is just icing on the cake.

Dave
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Spotting fish of any kind takes a lot of practice. In New York, they're in just about every lake, and it's a hell of a lot colder here than Southern New Mexico. There's an Assisted Living Building in New York where I from time to time bring the dog to cheer people up. They have Koi and Goldfish in an outdoor pond, and they happily live outside through the entire Winter.

I read your link after making my post, and why they think Goldfish would have a hard time with cold is beyond me.

Whatever...

Marvelous shots! They would have been marvelous shots without the Gold fish - That fish is just icing on the cake.

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the information. It was a fun time for me.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:37 PM   #9

Very interesting pictures and link. I always heard that Goldfish in the wild reverted back to their wild colour, which I thought was a greenish colour.

I don't recall seeing any Goldfish up here in all my years of fishing Canadian Shield lakes...which are very cold. They invariably have large Pike, some lakes have naturally occurring Muskies. They also have large Walleyed Pike and large Lake Trout.

All these fish are voracious and can easily handle the wide bodies of the Goldfish.

In some of the warmer bodies of water in the prairies we have Pike, but also large Walleyed Pike and very large Channel Catfish. All three are eating machines.

We do have some Carp, which of course are in the same fish family as Goldfish. Our Carp can grow very large.

Anyway, fascinating pictures, fish situation and link.

What did they say in the book and movie Jurassic Park..." Nature finds a way..."
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Very interesting pictures and link. I always heard that Goldfish in the wild reverted back to their wild colour, which I thought was a greenish colour.
They do, they do...

By the third generation...

Dave