Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1
Member
 
Dirtbmw20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Augusta, GA.
Posts: 41
Default A few ducks

Here are a few ducks from one of our local parks.........




Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Gorgeous shots - Beautiful ducks!

That first duck is a European immigrant...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Member
 
Dirtbmw20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Augusta, GA.
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
That first duck is a European immigrant...
I wondered what kind of duck he was. The pics were taken in Aiken, SC. so he's a long ways from home,lol.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbmw20 View Post
I wondered what kind of duck he was. The pics were taken in Aiken, SC. so he's a long ways from home,lol.
It's a Mandarin Duck, the Old Worlds compitition with its relative, our Wood Duck. He's probably an escapee. Hard to choose between these two as to who's the more beautiful - Nice capture!

The other handsome fellow is a Hooded Merganser - Their a bit rare - So you had a good day!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Nice Job getting these, wish I could be so lucky!
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:17 PM   #6
Member
 
Dirtbmw20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Augusta, GA.
Posts: 41
Default

They are at a public, open park and are very use to people, I probally wasn't 3-4 feet away when the pics were taken.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbmw20 View Post
They are at a public, open park and are very use to people, I probally wasn't 3-4 feet away when the pics were taken.

We have a lot of verity here in Florida so I can't complain too much but, I'd love to be able to get some of a Mandarin Duck. That is one pretty duck. Thanks again for sharing.
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

Until recently, Mandarin Ducks were unknown in the wild, and thought to have persisted only in the private gardens of Chinese royalty (hence the name, Mandarin) for centuries, and perhaps were artificially bred to such spectacular plumage. They are popular in zoos and private waterfowl collections, from which many have escaped. Not long ago, what is now believed to be the only remaining wild population was discovered in a hitherto unexplored region near the Pacific coast of the Russian mainland (once Chinese) near Sakahlin.
__________________
.
.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.

Last edited by penolta; Mar 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Until recently, Mandarin Ducks were unknown in the wild, and thought to have persisted only in the private gardens of Chinese royalty (hence the name, Mandarin) for centuries, and perhaps were artificially bred to such spectacular plumage. They are popular in zoos and private waterfowl collections, from which many have escaped. Not long ago, what is now believed to be the only remaining wild population was discovered in a hitherto unexplored region near the Pacific coast of the Russian mainland (once Chinese) near Sakahlin.
They may have been bred for their spectacular colors, but Wood Ducks need not hide their heads in shame in that department...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.