Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:26 AM   #1

Default Sturnus vulgaris

This bird is a shure sign of spring coming. A bit late this year, but they have finally arrived.
Attached Images

tronds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Another nice bird shot.

I'm thinking that the softness I saw in the other could be PP as this doesn't seem quite sharp. Do you apply unsharp mask or anything after the resize before posting?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:11 AM   #3

I would agree with Mark - your photos show an excellent eye for composition, and some lovely detail. But they do look a little soft. That can often be an artifact of resizing for posting. If you use Irfanview to resize, it includes a resharpen option as part of the resizing.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:32 AM   #4

I don't use any resharpening before posting. They seem pretty sharp at my computer. It seems that they end up a bit softer after posting. I don't know why.
I sharpened this version a bit. Now lets have a look at it after posting.
Attached Images

Last edited by tronds; Apr 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I think possibly it is the sharpening process you are using or that you've used too much compression.

I've sharpened the original for you (I hope you don't mind), this is done in Paintshop Pro using unsharp mask, but very similar to unsharp mask of Photoshop too. It would have been a bit sharper if I had the file you started with but it gives you an idea.

In my PP process, applying unsharp mask is the last thing I do, be it for print or for web. It is only the settings that change dependent on display media and size.
Attached Images

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I think possibly it is the sharpening process you are using or that you've used too much compression.

I've sharpened the original for you (I hope you don't mind), this is done in Paintshop Pro using unsharp mask, but very similar to unsharp mask of Photoshop too. It would have been a bit sharper if I had the file you started with but it gives you an idea.

In my PP process, applying unsharp mask is the last thing I do, be it for print or for web. It is only the settings that change dependent on display media and size.
I am bit worried about sharpening too much. Going over the hill leads to a light halo around edges. The distance between a bit soft and too much is small, and I prefer to be on the soft side than going over the hill.
On my screen it looks pretty sharp. A bit more sharpening brings out the light halo around the edges. It shure looks much sharper, but to my eyes it is a bit too much.
As for compression, 95% quality jpeg isn't much compression.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I went slightly more on the sharpening than usual as I wasn't starting with the non compressed photo, my usual settings are 80%, 0.7 radius and 0 threshold. This was 100%, 1 rad and 0.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:47 PM   #8

There is always some tweeking to do. I will continue to work on my skills using bibble5 pro and gimp. I don't know how to relate photoshop settings to gimp, but I will continue to try different setting to achive best possible results.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I went slightly more on the sharpening than usual as I wasn't starting with the non compressed photo, my usual settings are 80%, 0.7 radius and 0 threshold. This was 100%, 1 rad and 0.
Another explanation is bad optics. I've got a 170-500mm "bigma" now, and it is described as soft at 500mm wide open, but it is way much sharper than my old 70-300mm at any f-stop.

My old 70-300mm which was used to take this picture is now in use as a paperweight.
I also bought a Nikon 80-200mm ED 2.8 to replace the zoom area between 70-80mm and 200mm.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:49 AM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronds View Post
This bird is a shure sign of spring coming. A bit late this year, but they have finally arrived.

tronds,

Beautiful picture of a starling, I think they call it overseas. Stare is the swedish name. What's the Norwegian name

Definitely a spring sign

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote