Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:49 PM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Beautiful captures of a pretty, little bird. I like the first and last ones best.
Gary,

Thank you for viewing and commenting

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:57 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Torgny,

Very nice capture with lunch on the first one. The sunlight compliments the shots nicely. Which lens did you use?

shoturtle,

Thank you very much. It's the kit tele EF-S 55-250. I don't have much experience with the expensive L tele lenses. I think it performs well all the way from 55 to 250. Great value.

The IS functions very well, making me less afraid of loosing the motives to motion blur

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.

Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Nice shots - the first one is quite a catch.
penolta,

Yes, I was lucky with the settings at the moment.

//T

Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:03 PM   #14

I like the EF-s 55-250. I was pleasantly surprised by it during my vacation. It did more then I expected. Had a BIF I really like, did not think it would be able to keep up with them. Though it is not L lens sharp like the ef 100-400L that I dream about, it is still an excellent and sharp lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...h-florida.html
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
superb set. i liked them all. great clarity and pretty little creatures.

hards80,

Thank you for viewing and the nice words

//T

Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
I second that! Very different to our Willie Wagtail (Rhipidura lecophrys) which shares the 'wagtail' common name but is actually of the fantail family. It's really interesting seeing the birds and plants of other countries on these forums.

Bernice

Bernice,

Yes, (I checked it up) - your Willie Wagtail is a Rhipiduridae while the White Wagtail belongs to the Motacillidae family.

Yes, and it's often small variations (and naming differences) that fascinate the most

//T

And of course it is interesting also to see completely different species. A dream would be to see and hear the Lyre Bird

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrebird

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7052114896375#

Last edited by Torgny; Apr 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:47 PM   #17

Quote:
I like the EF-s 55-250. I was pleasantly surprised by it during my vacation. It did more then I expected. Had a BIF I really like, did not think it would be able to keep up with them. Though it is not L lens sharp like the ef 100-400L that I dream about, it is still an excellent and sharp lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...h-florida.html

shoturtle,

What about giving IS to the 400mm? Thanks for the link, my favourite is this one below. It's fun to experiment with the four hot spots.

Gives totally different experience depending of course of angles, light and other circumstances

//T
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:55 PM   #18

Yes that shot is may favorite from BIF shot so far.

The 100-400L IS works well. But every time I get to use my friends at the drag strip. It is mounted on a tripod, sometime on a monopole. It is a bit heavy to carry around. It is a very very good lenses. I just wont pay 1600 for a lens that I know I will not carry around so it will not get to much uses. But if you need big reach with super sharpness, it is a fantastic lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
shoturtle,

What about giving IS to the 400mm? Thanks for the link, my favourite is this one below. It's fun to experiment with the four hot spots.

Gives totally different experience depending of course of angles, light and other circumstances

//T
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes that shot is may favorite from BIF shot so far.

The 100-400L IS works well. But every time I get to use my friends at the drag strip. It is mounted on a tripod, sometime on a monopole. It is a bit heavy to carry around. It is a very very good lenses. I just wont pay 1600 for a lens that I know I will not carry around so it will not get to much uses. But if you need big reach with super sharpness, it is a fantastic lens.

OK,

What's great about the gull picture is that it's describing a parable in the lower part and there is still room for different parables, dependent on the angle. The gull also has head room for it's flight.

//T

Last edited by Torgny; Apr 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:20 PM   #20

Thanks Torgny,

Dustin liked it even though the gull did not fill the frame. But now reading what you said, I do see why it is so appealing.