Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:37 AM   #1

Default "Air Jordan" of Cimarron, New Mexico

This little Doe gets great "hang time" as she gracefully clears the barbed wire fence on her evening journey to the Villa Philmonte grounds for browsing and socialization with her peers......

Lin

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:52 AM   #2

I've always been amazed at how animals like this always seem to jump just high enough to clear the object without jumping too high. Nice action photo.

Is it the early morning light that gives this a slight blue tint?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:56 AM   #3

Hi Eric,
Actually, it was nearing sundown with the sun rather low on the horizon and being filtered by the trees which gives it the slight bluish cast.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:09 PM   #4

Wonderful shot Lin :!: :!:
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 3:18 PM   #5

The doe hangs there in perpetual jeopardy of those nasty barbs. I think your photo speaks on more than one level. Definitely a good one.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 6:40 PM   #6

Hi Barbara, John,

Thanks! It's interesting how deer approach crossing fences. There is a herd of around 20 which migrate back and forth across the highway between their browse and bedding area near the river and the grounds of the Villa Philmonte mansion where they frequently spend their evenings just hanging out and socializing.

Some reach the barbed wire fences which border the highway on either side and go between the barbed strands. Others always jump over. The large males with their racks almost always jump while the does are nearly evenly divided between jumpers and not. When they jump, they walk up to the fence and seemingly measure the height by sniffing at the top wire strand. Then they leap upward at about a 45 degree angle and clear the top wire by about 4 inches. They seem to not waste any additional energy by adding any additional "height" insurance.

Some of the ranchers have six and eight foot fences protecting their hay stacks, and the deer can actually clear the six foot fences with little trouble and sometimes with a run will get over the eight foot chain link, though they usually must be "let out" because they don't have sufficient running room inside and are caught "red handed" with "egg" (make that hay) on their faces :-)

I've followed this herd for several years and will return at Christmas to try and get some shots of the big bucks going over the fence. This little doe makes this jump about six times a day in each direction and on each side of the road for a total of about 24 jumps. She definitely has it down to a "science" and wastes little energy in the process.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Dec 7, 2003, 3:25 PM   #7

Lin,

This is such a lovely picture of this beautiful doe. I have several of them hanging out in my yard. I just purchased a Minolta A1. I can't wait until I have it figured out and can take some good shot of them.

Thanks for sharing!
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote