Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Hello! and Goodbye!

She was a bit surprised at the big Canon lens "eye" poking through the brush - 2nd photo posted earlier on same forum...

Lin

So long photographer - I'm out'a here!

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2

Lin,

Excellent job getting such breathtaking photos of that doe. Both photos are just stunning. With such big ears it looks as though it could be a mule deer?
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:48 PM   #3

Thanks young lady! Indeed it's a Mule Deer - there are lots of them in this part of New Mexico and they make great subjects for the photographer, as well as terrible road hazzards :-)

Best regards,

Lin
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:25 AM   #4

try them here in NJ. the populations are getting to be a bit much thanks to us with no natural predators now. in my backyard a have a small group of 8 or so hanging around. i unfortunately have had 1 personal experience with one and a previously owned car :shock: . in my area the road kill rate is staggering and much debate is occuring on the issue.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:04 AM   #5

Fortunately, here in the West we still have sufficient populations of cougar & coyote to help keep them in check, but they are becoming a major problem in many areas.

A few years ago in late October I flew into New York and rented a nice new little Dodge Status which had 36 miles on the odometer when I drove out of the rental agency and headed north to Vermont. Having little experience driving in the area, I selected what appeared to be a nice highway (at least on my GPS system) and proceeded north up the Taconic State Parkway.

It was late evening in upstate NY, and the divided highway was bordered by heavy forest on either side with a wide median which was literally alive with deer. I would estimate that within a 40 mile stretch there were well over 1,000 milling around and crossing back and forth. I drove carefully and "dodged" deer for about 30 minutes when a very large buck appeared in my headlights on the right shoulder with his butt facing the right lane and intruding into the traffic area by about 4 feet.

Out here in the West we use a bumper mounted "whistle" which works well to warn deer, elk and other wildlife which don't seem to be overly concerned about headlights from oncoming traffic. Thinking that this buck might be spooked, I changed lanes to the left (fast) lane and tooted my horn. The buck whirled around and leaped the slow lane and crashed headlong into the passenger side of the Stratus killing him instantly. I pulled over, checked the deer and called the NY State Police on the cell phone. About 45 minutes later a trooper arrived - looked at the dead deer and the side of my car - then said "well, it's obvious that the deer hit your car and that you didn't hit the deer, he's your deer, what do you want to do with him? I was dumbfounded and replied that I supposed the auto rental people wouldn't understand a bloody carcass in the trunk so perhaps the trooper and I could drag him off the side of the road and I would "donate" him to the wildlife scavengers of NY state.

We did so, and since the auto was still drivable, even though the passenger door wouldn't open, I continued on to Vermont and called the auto rental agency. They agreed that if I was O.K. with driving the car, I should just go ahead and use it for my return trip to NY. A few days later I returned the Stratus and the rental manager came out to look at the damage. I assumed he would be a bit upset about the damages, but all he wanted to know was "where did it happen, and are there lots of deer there, and why hadn't I brought the deer back?" He told me that hunting season was beginning and that he really wanted to bag a deer this year.

I asked him if it were possible, would he like to get one his first day out and without even paying for a deer license. He said "sure, but how can I do that?" I said just take a nice new Dodge Stratus, head up the Taconic State Parkway at night, toot you horn and be sure you wear your seat belt." I absolutely guaranteed him a deer!

Lin
Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:38 PM   #6

Lin,

Your trip sound like it was a hoot. During deer hunting season here the poor things are so frightened they have been known to run through picture windows.

I can't stop coming back to your deer photos. Can you tell me what type of camera you used and at what distance from them were you when taking those shots?

I don't think my Minolta A1 could take photos like that since it does not have enough zoom capacity. However, I love nature and would really like to take photos such as yours.

Thanks
Tangula
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:58 PM   #7

These were taken with a Canon EOS-1D and Canon 70-200mm "L" F2.8 lens at 200mm. The "jump" was the second in a series of six o frames capturing the leap from beginning to end - here's a collage:

Lin
Old Jan 3, 2004, 1:39 AM   #8

Quote:
try them here in NJ. the populations are getting to be a bit much thanks to us with no natural predators now. in my backyard a have a small group of 8 or so hanging around. i unfortunately have had 1 personal experience with one and a previously owned car . in my area the road kill rate is staggering and much debate is occuring on the issue.
sj, what's your department of game/wildlife take on it? I would think if the deer began proving too much a problem, they'd extend the hunting season. Among other things.

I never knew what road kill was until I went to Indiana, 5 years ago. Holy cow! Critters and deer seemingly everywhere alongside and in the road.
The 2nd day there, we almost hit a herd of deer. They sprang over the fence like it was nothing and fast they were! Fortunately they jumped just seconds before we met their landing area. Had it been seconds later, we would have been in a serious wipe-out situation.

These deer look huge when comparing them to our puny black tail deer. Not often that you come close to hitting any here, they have a vast forest to frolic in. Difficult to get a good deer shot. With the camera that it

I always enjoy seeing photos of deer in the wild.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:40 PM   #9

These are fabulous shots Lin. Here in the Arkansas Ozarks where I live, hunting is a big sport and you dont see the deer too often.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:33 AM   #10

Lin, these are very nice indeed. Getting 6 shots on the fly suggests major buffering. What file format were you using ?
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote