Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:28 AM   #1

Default Couple Herons

Shot with the Digital Rebel, kit lens from a kayak.

E.B.
E.B.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:49 PM   #2

Excellent shots especially that second one.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:27 PM   #3

Yes, that second one is really nice. Wish I had taken it. Getting the exposure right with the light/shadow is not easy, but you did it well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 3:01 PM   #4

These photos prove that the kit lens is nothing to sneeze at. Too many people don't take the time to get the right exposure and focus, then blame the lens/camera.

Excellent work here! Good exposure, excellent sharpness. Kudos, E.B.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 4:59 PM   #5

Default ahh

VN shots! how'd you get them? zoom lens? i have been trying to take a picture of a Great Blue Heron......it lives at the park right by my house.......buuuut i have a Canon G2 and a 1.75x zoom lens(got the lens for Christmas) but the zoom on the G2 doesn't have a zoom lens that gets any closer.....so i have to sneak up to it (or i could try to set up a tent and camouflage it(would get suspicious cuz of it being a puplic park.) i'm not sure how to do it.....any ideas?
thanks
btw i also have a canon speedlite 220ex........so i think that is wat i have to use...(otherwise the lighting is screwed up)
thanks for any help!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:57 PM   #6

photosbyvito

Depending on where you live, some herons are well adjusted to people and some are completely paranoid.

Other than replacing the camera (and you don't want to do that) you could consider adding a teleconverter to the camera. Eagle Eye makes a 5x that is supposed to be fairly good. I don't know if it fits that camera, but itís worth looking into. They are a UK company, but they have a reseller in the US.

You might consider getting a nice book (and your camera) and sit near the pond. That way the heron will get used to you. Then you can hope it will wonder closer. But you are right, that camera has only a 34-102mm lens (in 35-mm speak) and that isn't very long for bird photography. I regularly use a 400mm lens for that. But the reality is that itís situational. If you lived in Florida and went to the right national park, you could get within 5 feet of Great Blue Herons. They are that used to people (someone had a picture of some egrets in Florida that came into their kitchen to eat most mornings!)

Good luck with it, I love bird photography... but itís also some of the hardest photography to do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:25 AM   #7

Thanks for your nice comments.

I used the 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebel kit. I think that's about equal to what the G2 has. The ability to get the shot was made possible by A: beinbg in a kayak where I could just coast up to them and B: probably the most important, as Eric says, I live in a place that these birds are used to seeing people and don't take off unless you really spook them.

As to the ability of the lens itself, I think it's more than worth the $100 extra you pay for it when you buy the kit. I've read on other forums about all the testing and hand ringing and comparing it to what a L lens will do. I haven't done any of that, too busy taking pictures when I have the time to and so I go by if I like the way they look. Besides, I sure hope a $500 lens would be better than a $100 one.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:29 AM   #8

The second Heron photo is very fine indeed. Jealous !

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:14 AM   #9

did you use flash?.....whenever i took some pictures of herons they got all discolored and had no contrast(beyond the help of Photoshop).
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:29 PM   #10

Nope, no flash. It was a bright cloudless day so, even though he was in the bushes, there was no need for a flash.