Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:19 PM   #1
NHL

Default How to turn a bad day into a great shot...

An overcast day with scattered rains... Normally one would stay indoor but would have missed this great lighting:

Last edited by NHL; Jul 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM. Reason: Change attachment to direct link
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:27 PM   #2

Very effective. I agree with the idea of shooting when the sky is overcast.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:21 PM   #3

Wow, that's beautiful, like a Japanese sumi painting....

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:14 AM   #4

great catch!
wildlifeiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:18 AM   #5
Administrator

NHL:

You may want to be careful to downsize photos so that they're no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, with a file size that's no larger than 260,000 bytes (~253.5KB). Usually a JPEG Quality setting of around 80 to 85% (or 8 to 8.5, depending on the type of quality scale your software uses) will keep the file size within limits if a photo is downsized to a longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter first.

When you attach a photo to a post here using the paperclip icon, you'll see those maximum sizes listed in the attachments manager that comes up. The forums software will still allow you to upload them, even if they exceed the maximum sizes. But, exceeding them is a bad idea if you don't want them to look softer.

That's because the forums software is going to resize and recompress the images if the maximum allowed sizes is exceeded, and the algorithms used are not the best (your photos will be noticeably softer if you let the forums software recompress them). That process will also strip out the EXIF.

I can tell that your photo in this thread was recompressed by the forums software. So, if it looks softer in this post compared to what you saw before you attached it, that's why (it's file size or dimensions exceeded the maximum allowed here, and the forums software recompressed it).

As long as a photo does not exceed the maximum allowed sizes (longest side of 1024 pixels or less, file size of 253KB or less), then the forums software will not modify it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:38 PM   #6

@ JimC I'm confused by what you said about image sizes that we try and post.

In the past I've re-sized to 800 x 600 and the file size has ended up as about 260k, but when I've uploaded the file has been re-compressed and ended up at about 70k, is there a sure fire way of making sure files don't get re-compressed?

@ NHL - great capture! Have to agree with saly and say it has a picture like quality that I like
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:19 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
@ JimC I'm confused by what you said about image sizes that we try and post.

In the past I've re-sized to 800 x 600 and the file size has ended up as about 260k, but when I've uploaded the file has been re-compressed and ended up at about 70k, is there a sure fire way of making sure files don't get re-compressed?
That's too large. It will need to be 260,000 bytes or smaller. If it's 260,001 bytes, the forums software is going to recompress it.

For example, if you see a file size of 254KB, it's too large, since that would be 260,096 bytes (254 x 1024 = 260,096). A Kilobyte is 1024 bytes.

You'll see the maximum sizes allowed (in KB) when you use the attachments feature (paperclip icon) to upload a photo when making a post. If it's within the max sizes allowed, the forums software won't modify it. So, it sounds like you exceeded the maximum allowed size.

Use a higher compression setting (lower JPEG Quality setting) with your editor when resizing if the file size is too large (and the forums are set to exactly 260,000 bytes as the maximum allowed size, which works out to less than 254KB).

It's been set to 260,000 bytes for years (even with the old wowBB software we used before transitioning to vBulletin). The difference is that we used to prohibit the attachment of images that exceeded the maximum allowed file size. Now, we still allow you to upload them if the sizes are too large. But, you can expect to see them resized and recompressed if you do exceed the maximum allowed sizes (which are shown on the attachments screen right by the file types when you use the paperclip icon).
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:28 PM   #8
Administrator

IOW, you'll want to pay attention to the sizes shown on this screen when you attach a photo to a post.
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:18 PM   #9
NHL

Thanks Jim

I was using my wife's laptop and my iPad and did not notice the picture IQ until you brought it up

How does the image looks now (even the GPS data is preserved)?
Now I have to update all the pictures I posted during the last few days...

Last edited by NHL; Jul 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Administrator

I'm probably the wrong one to ask. I'm recovering from abdominal surgery and being lazy (leaning back in a recliner with a laptop in my lap with a relatively poor quality display, versus sitting in front of my desktop with a better display in my office). :-)

Viewing it with your IPad's IPS display is probably a better way to determine IQ.

But, I know from looking at lots of photos here, that the GD Graphics libraries we use to recompress images are not very good at it (photos we recompress will look noticeably softer, even though I've got the Quality bumped up to 85% now). I need to look into using ImageMagick libraries instead.o