Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:14 PM   #1

Default Toad

Just managed to shoot this chap before he vanished into the undergrowth! I was surprised how fast he could move. He was about the size of a fist, taken in Jamaica a few days ago.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:35 PM   #2

G'day Talyllyn

Toad - taken in Jamaca .... try not to import them into UK then :-)

cc if I may- Your pic is an okay flash at night pic, tho as the toad is very central in the frame, I would suggest a bit of cropping at the bottom & the right to then put the toad off-centre and pointing towards the 'open' side of the frame

Coming back to the toad > it looks like the feral Cane Toad we have in Austraila - a highly poisonous critter with no predator. The knobbly bits on the shoulders are the poison glands, and in aust. any animal who snaps one up into its mouth is killed within 60-seconds via the poison released by those knobbly bits

Our famous Kakadu National Park has now been declared extinct of all ground-based animals like lizards and goannas and snakes > the kangaroos that are grass eating are there, so are the birds, but all our famous on-the-ground animals are gone. Crocodiles in the rivers are dying in great numbers as well
So - the reason for my first line comment!

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:22 PM   #3

Default Original pic

Hi Phil,
This is the original uncropped, I think you are right I should have cropped with the beastie a bit more off-centre.

I knew cane toads were toxic but didn't realise they had such a destructive effect on the environment. Where do they come from originally? They must have some natural predators but as they show introduction to a new world can cause all sorts of unforeseen problems.

Cheers

Don
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:10 PM   #4

G'day Don

Cropping is always a personal preference - so don't worry too much about my 'fine-tuning'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyllyn View Post
.... but as they show introduction to a new world can cause all sorts of unforeseen problems.... Cheers Don
This is one of the reasons that Australia has so much trouble with WTO rules & regs re- commerce ... we already have "imported" too many diseases & pests, we don't want any more just for the sake of a few dollars for somebody else

as one of hundreds of exampes ... Tasmania in southern Australia is the world's 5th largest island. All around Tasmania's sea waters, where the Japanese bulk carrier ships empty their ballast waters before taking on a load of timber, we now have a Japanese starfish that kills off the local fish, without any of its Japanese predators. The 'rules' stated that the bulk carrier ballast was to be "clean water", so they just pumped in local sea water alongside the port rather than using fresh water from on-land. So now we've got a multi-million dollar job of repairs to do, where the repair bill far outweighs the value of the timber exported in the first place

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is online now   Reply With Quote