Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:39 AM   #1

Default Lunch time for a Blue Heron

My wife took these photos today with her new camera and new 300 mm. L lens:

Lunch time for a Blue Heron:

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:09 AM   #2

Just so I'm not out done by my student, here is a photo I grabbed out of the window of our car as we drove down a back country road. I stopped the car just long enough to take the shot.

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:03 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing these, grandpawrichard

What a beautiful bird (both the species and this particularly specimen!)

Hope you (or your wife) doesn't mind me saying but the first 3 photos don't seem to 'hit' the focus exactly right (at least on my monitor, the head of the bird is not truly in focus).

The compositions are great - and the fact that your wife captured the heron with the 'lunch' in its mouth is superb timing. Maybe slightly higher shutter speed would help.

The colours are really nice on all of them. The sharpness on your photo (last one / close up of the head) is good. Thanks for sharing

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments Paul! I will show her them tonight when she gets home from work. Part of the problem with her shots is that we were in our car driving down the road when we spotted the Heron. So, I stopped the car and rolled the window down for her. The car motor needs a slight tune up, so it isn't running smooth and we also had 55 mile per hour wind gusts hitting us broad side. So the car was moving around quite a bit. Plus the fact that she was super excited to see him catch a mouse didn't help.

I Will take your suggestion and pump up her shutter speed for the next shoot! That should help quite a bit. I'm lucky enough to be steady handed, so I can hand hold a 400 mm lens with shutter speeds as low as 1/60th. of a second, so I always forget to set a camera up different for her.

Dick
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:25 PM   #5

Very nice!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote