Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Keeping eyes on the kids

Even after watching them for many years, I'm always amazed at the care and protection water fowl give their young. No doubt many parents would also wish their kids minded as well as the goslings do.

BobIr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:03 AM   #2

A young Canada goose had been injured from fishing line that had become wrapped around its leg and digging into it, and it would eventually have resulted in the loss of its leg. A man rescued the goose, taking it to a nature center where the fishing line was removed and the leg healed in a couple weeks.

I was at the pond where the goose had been one of a half-dozen goslings. The day the gosling was returned to the pond, I was curious about how the other goslings and the parents would react to the return of the 'lost' sibling.

I noted that the geese seemed to sense something involving them was going to happen. The goslings and their parents came over to within 20 feet of where I was standing, and they stood there looking around.

The gosling was returned on the back of a pickup truck, in a cage, just a few minutes later. The cage was lifted (I helped lift the cage out and was surprised the goose didn't seem to weigh that much) and put down near the pond.

The cage was opened, and the gosling slowly walked out and stopped, but only for a moment. It spotted its family and started walking toward them. The gaggle? of geese were totally silent as the formerly injured goose came near to them.

Then, the returning goose lowered its head as it walked into the group, waved/fluttered its wings and started honking - and each gosling and both the parents went up and touched it with their beaks before a great rejoicing noise of honks by all, as they celebrated the return. After the celebration, the goslings all waddled into the water together and the parents watched as the goslings proceeded to practice takeoffs and landings.

A feature story appeared in the local newspaper with a couple photos about the incident (incident happened a couple years ago).

Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Jun 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added comment
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 5:19 PM   #3

Nice story...thanks for adding to the thread. Geese also will adopt/kidnap other goslings if they don't think they're being cared for well enough. Saw one pair with two sets of "kids" and couple weeks ago. The older ones were twice as big as the other set.
BobIr is offline   Reply With Quote