Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
This is a great study in fox slyness. My dog could take a lesson from this fox. She chases squirrels off the feeder in our back yard all day long, with no results. The squirrel is on the feeder, she runs out barking, he runs up the tree, she runs back in, he comes down, and it repeats endlessly - it is like a game to them. It would be funny to watch if she would only shut up!

Here's what that looks like:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...ty-hunter.html
Great story. Years ago I had a dog, name of Willy. He was half Poodle, half West Highland Terrier. A tiny little guy, about 7.5 lbs....about 7 of those pounds as my wife said...were brains.

When he was about 14 and arthritic, we took him to my parent's cottage at a lake.

There was a gray squirrel that came down a tree....much like the fox and squirrel series.

Only Willy was old and slow and couldn't catch the squirrel. However there was a canoe laid on it's side against the tree. Willy positioned himself and laid down opposite the canoe...waiting for the squirrel to come down and chatter at him.

It did and my dog got up quickly for about a foot...the squirrel panicked...ran into the side of the canoe and bounced off...within about a couple of feet of Willy.

Willy wasn't fast enough to grab him....but I noticed that after each incident would move closer to the canoe. I felt that if Willy was a human he had the potential to become a great billiards player...with his ability to calculate the distance the squirrel would bounce off the canoe.

On the last attempt he almost caught the squirrel and as he was getting too close for my comfort, I decided to end the game and took Willy for a walk.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:04 PM   #12

That's a good one, Les. Our first Elkhound would chase a critter into a thicket and, instead of crashing through it, he would run around the other side and wait for it to come through. I could regale you with other tales of Elkhound "smarts", but I don't want to hijack Ashsdad's thread.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
That's a good one, Les. Our first Elkhound would chase a critter into a thicket and, instead of crashing through it, he would run around the other side and wait for it to come through. I could regale you with other tales of Elkhound "smarts", but I don't want to hijack Ashsdad's thread.
I think we both have a lot of entertaining dog stories. I agree with you though we don't want to hijack Ashdad's thread.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:08 AM   #14

Great series!

and the circle of life continues