Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Osprey with fish

I put this on the dpreview Panasonic board for mutual adulation of our stabilization, but thought I would share it here as well.

We have a pair of osprey that live nearby. If they catch large fish or have to dive in the water for one they often eat some of the fish on one of my poles while they dry their wings or just rest up for the flight home. This is the smaller of the pair so I assume it is the male.

My resident heron drove him off the pole just after I took the shot. I know herons are tough but I didnít think they would bully an eagle. Neighbors have seen bald eagles steal their fish but Iíve never seen a heron mess with an osprey. My heron is really territorial.

This is only about ľ of the frame as the osprey donít let me get closer than about 100 feet Ė he is eyeing me suspiciously at a hundred feet away. It was a very dull and hazy day and the shot is at 1/100 of a second, giving me about 24X for the shot including the effective digital zoom of the crop. The stabilization on my FZ10 is a great feature.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 2:05 PM   #2

wow good job! nice shot! you should try to take some of it catching the fish too!(very tough though)
gj.....that pole is a wierd color lol
is it really that like bluish green? or is my monitor off?
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 2:54 PM   #3

A very good picture. Do you have exposure compensation on that camera? If so, dial it down a bit so the white head doesn't trick the meter and get blown out.

I shoot osprey when I'm in Maine on vacation. Wonderful birds. Truly wonderful.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:31 PM   #4

Quote:
wow good job! nice shot! you should try to take some of it catching the fish too!(very tough though)
gj.....that pole is a wierd color lol
is it really that like bluish green? or is my monitor off?
Iím looking at the pole as I write and it is indeed that color. It is the pressure treating they used on the older poles after they stopped using creosote. I think it had stuff in it that isnít good for the environment because newer poles arenít that color. It has been there for longer than the 25 years I have lived here so I donít think it is going to weather.

I can see the poles from my computer, so if anything interesting lands on them I can grab the camera. At this moment they are hosting cormorants. Iíve gotten some shots of Pelicans diving with my other cameras so they werenít close enough to be worth much. But pelicans dive in groups continuously on schools of fish and it is easy to get set up. The ospreys stay at high altitude and usually make only one pass, so it would take a lot of patience to get a shot. I have seen them grab fish often enough and it is interesting that no matter how they grab the fish they break water with their heads perfectly into the wind.

Quote:
Do you have exposure compensation on that camera? If so, dial it down a bit so the white head doesn't trick the meter and get blown out.
I did get some shots at lower EVs but I liked the posture on this one better.

I hope you vacation in Maine in the summer. I lived in northern Maine for 4 years and it isnít fit for human habitation in the winter unless you have Inuit blood. I guess the coast isnít bad in winter.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:15 PM   #5

Yes, I usually go in August or Sept. One year, I actually went for two weeks instead of the usual one. Boy was that nice and relaxing. I love it.

That is where this osprey shot came from, actually:
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/web_posts/osprey_nest1.jpg

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 1:41 PM   #6

Eric - Good shot. Our pair have a nest just off the water where it isnít heavily traveled by boats. Iím hoping to get some nice family shots later in the year. Right now you just get a shot with two adult ospreys glaring at you, which isnít very interesting.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 5:49 PM   #7

Great photos and story, slipe.

It is wonderful that you are "tuned into" the environment around you and that your environment provides such riches.

Thanks for sharing
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote