Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Few Black Cap Chikedee shots and American Tree Sparrow :)

Was out today, and my goal was to get some decent shots of Black Cap Chikedee, here's some samples :

This one is stuffing his face with peanuts

Another one, they were 3 going around, he was actually looking for a spot to crunch his next sunflower seed :

Very hard photo to get right, I had to use 3 layers of different exposure to bring something interesting :

Earlier this morning, I was a different spot in my hunters blind, there was many House Sparrows, then looked carefully and here was a different species, its called an American Tree Sparrows, I don't know why they named it like that in English, in French it's 'Bruant Hudsonien' which is a bird that lives in the Hudson Bay area in summer , in winter it comes 'down south' to pass the winter here in Southern Quebec. :

Another sample of the same bird, I guess he heard the shutter noise and looked what was going on

Larger images found here :

http://community.webshots.com/album/109964398GxwgCN/4

Few Northern Cardinal shots :

A Male :

Its Bride :

Larger images found here :

http://community.webshots.com/album/109964398GxwgCN/3

Cheers everyone !
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:13 AM   #2

The female cardinal is the prize winner. Beautiful shot. If someone paid me to say something negative about it, I'd end up having to lie.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 12:35 PM   #3

Hehe Bccoultry, isn't she cute or ? She's even harder to get than the male, a shy type really. I'm still trying to get perch on tree branch, with patience I'll get it , I hope.

I also personally like the Black Cap Chikedee perched sideways, makes a nice composition with the cedar branch in the same angle.

Cheers !
Old Feb 17, 2004, 1:28 PM   #4

Quote:
I also personally like the Black Cap Chikedee perched sideways, makes a nice composition with the cedar branch in the same angle.
That was my second choice, and the only reason it wasn't right up there with the cardinal lady is that its face isn't exposed quite enough to bring out the sparkle of its eye. (Maybe you could doctor it a little?)
Old Feb 17, 2004, 1:48 PM   #5

hey
vnice pictures! great job! the female cardinal pictures is vvvn!

may i ask how much the Sigma lens was? (thanks )

also....how do you set up the blind? can you just use a tent(with a window lol) and cover it with branches and stuff? or do you have to have a camouflaged one?

again, great pictures!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bcoultry
That was my second choice, and the only reason it wasn't right up there with the cardinal lady is that its face isn't exposed quite enough to bring out the sparkle of its eye. (Maybe you could doctor it a little?)
Barbara, I noticed that when an image is resize, it doesn't show all the subtil contrast of the black compared to a full size one.

Take a look at this image please :

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...18966722IAzreD

click view full size

Then if you still have trouble seeing the eyes, I understand its quite dark, his head is black, but I've already 'doctored' his eyes already, and trying to increase brightness would kill the subtil white shade present (feather) on his coat.

Please also try to see if your monitor is calibrated properly, I created this simple image here :

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...10168819GQzddl

You have to see a tendency that everything is centered, I mean look on the left, try to see the first block of white, 2nd, then do the same to the right. It's very hard to be perfect, but on my monitor I see all blocks, the white one is the hardest, but I still see it.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
hey
vnice pictures! great job! the female cardinal pictures is vvvn!

may i ask how much the Sigma lens was? (thanks )

also....how do you set up the blind? can you just use a tent(with a window lol) and cover it with branches and stuff? or do you have to have a camouflaged one?

again, great pictures!
Hi photobyvito, I'm Canadian and paid 1600$ CAN, in the states you can this 50-500 EX HSM for about the same price as a Digital Rebel w/ kit lens, which at 939$ US. I understand its quite expensive, but thats the price to pay to get some reach

Thanks for the good word

I actually tried a camping tent, it works somewhat, but its long to set-up, this particular blind takes seconds to bring up, here's an image :

It has a special frame that lets you bring it up or down in few seconds, very handy, portable and light weight, comes with a bag too.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:59 PM   #8

I see what you mean about the black head with a black eye. Now, if it were a stuffed chickadee, you could have provided light at just the right angle, eh?

I checked out your grayscale chart and, on my monitor, I had trouble distinguishing among the last three dark squares. This, however will soon be a thing of the past (I hope). UPS delivered SpyderPro and PrintFix this afternoon. Their instructions are extremely slender, so I plan on taking tomorrow afternoon to mess everything up ten times and then do it right.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 6:32 PM   #9

Ahh Barbara, then your 2nd comments all make senses now, since the monitor is too dark.

I dont have a spider here, I have other things to buy with the DRebel, let me know how you like it

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2004, 6:51 PM   #10

Quote:
since the monitor is too dark
Yes, I've gathered from other incidents that it's too dark. Interestingly enough, I used Adobe's utility to calibrate it. Also, I've kept it on the dark side because my prints are too dark.

I'll definitely give a report on the Spyder and PrintFix once I know what I'm doing with all of it. It's got to be better than what I have now, and it should also alleviate the constant problems in producing good prints.