Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:21 PM   #1

Default pygmy owl with Tamron 150-600

took my new toy out today for a field test, to try some shots of the northern pygmy owl i'd heard was lurking around a wetland reserve about 35 miles south of me. the new lens performed very well indeed, especially given the conditions... the forecast called for partly sunny, but the sun never came out. it was a murky, almost foggy day, and this was taken around 4PM, so what light there was was fading fast. the light was challenging to say the least. this shot was taken at 600mm, 1/250 @ f/6.3, ISO 2000, -2/3EV, hand-held! this little guy is only about 6" from head to tail, so it's not a very big target target - this shot was taken from about 40 feet away. to say i'm pleased with the lens would be an understatement.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Feb 1, 2015 at 3:00 AM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Awesome shot! That Tamron is the one lens that would make me consider switching systems, or adding another to the mix I already have which is more likely

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:21 PM   #3

thanks, John... this lens is available for Nikon and Sony as well as Canon... for me at least, it's well worth the cost for what you get! here's another look at the owl...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Yep, the 150-600 seems to be the best bang for the buck out there in wildlife/birding lenses. Not in the cards for me at the moment but maybe someday.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:33 PM   #5

THAT, is very impressive indeed Rocky. Hand held too, Wow! That's quite an endorsement. Love the pics of the owl too, btw.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:19 PM   #6

Rocky, these are wonderful shots! The Tammy really works well! I also got one last month.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Feb 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
THAT, is very impressive indeed Rocky. Hand held too, Wow! That's quite an endorsement. Love the pics of the owl too, btw.
thanks, Steve! i'm pretty impressed with the lens, and tickled to death with the photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Rocky, these are wonderful shots! The Tammy really works well! I also got one last month.
thanks, WCKSer... i can't wait to get mine out with some decent light! they do seem to be gaining popularity as people see how good they are and what a great value for the money...

~ Three Dog Night

Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:48 PM   #8

Great results from the 150-600!! I'm really happy with mine also. Well worth the money.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:35 PM   #9

Wow that is one amazing photo of an owl.
I read that an issue was found with autofocus on this Tamron 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, here is an excerpt from this article:

"While capturing our sample images, both a Canon 50D and Canon 60D were used. With both cameras we had some difficulty using the AF system. Since this happened with both camera bodies, we are looking at an issue with the lens. In both cases, we would have to manually focus and get close before the AF system would take over. Other than that, the 4x zoom range of the lens is awesome for any situation in which you are not able to get close enough to use a standard zoom lens."

Did you find that was the case with your lens?
I'm considering purchasing it for a Canon 700D (T5i).
Blackdesertwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
Great results from the 150-600!! I'm really happy with mine also. Well worth the money.
thanks! i'm still waiting for a chance to get out with mine in some decent light!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdesertwind View Post
Wow that is one amazing photo of an owl.
I read that an issue was found with autofocus on this Tamron 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, here is an excerpt from this article:

"While capturing our sample images, both a Canon 50D and Canon 60D were used. With both cameras we had some difficulty using the AF system. Since this happened with both camera bodies, we are looking at an issue with the lens. In both cases, we would have to manually focus and get close before the AF system would take over. Other than that, the 4x zoom range of the lens is awesome for any situation in which you are not able to get close enough to use a standard zoom lens."

Did you find that was the case with your lens?
I'm considering purchasing it for a Canon 700D (T5i).
i know there was a problem with these early on - the focus tracking didn't work properly in AI Servo mode on some Canon bodies - but Tamron fixed it about 6 months ago. i've had no AF issues with mine at all... though i haven't tried tracking a moving target with it yet. i don't anticipate any problem though, other than my own limitations as far as keeping the subject properly in the viewfinder!

~ Three Dog Night