Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:42 PM   #1

Default the osprey are back!

so, i broke down and got myself a 7D Mk II to go with that nifty Tamron 150-600 lens... probably shouldn't have, but i got a great deal on it... about $400 off retail, too good to pass up. so i took it out today to give it a try, even though the weather was lousy for photography. went down to check on one of the local osprey nests, and they're back! there were 3 or 4 of them flying around, but the nesting pair eventually shooed the interlopers away. the light was lousy, but the birds did their part, and i got a chance to test the new combo... this is gonna be a killer bird set-up! here are some of the "test shots" from the first outing...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Apr 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:28 PM   #2

Congrats on the 7dMKII. I have had so much fun using that with the Tamron. Took a little getting used to the placement of some of the buttons and to figure out the best focus setup for me. But I'm loving it.

BTW, great shots for the first time out!

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:39 PM   #3

Stunning! I am so sorry I am asking so many questions, but I really REALLY want to get good with my camera and lens. Right now my photos are a bit of a disappointment.

Do you get those bird shots straight out of your camera or do you have to crop the photos to get a close up photo of the birds? I took a bunch of photos of hawks and owls but they are a little too far away and look tiny in my photo. Any tips you can provide would be so appreciated.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:03 PM   #4

thanks, LotusLady...

whether (or how much) i have to crop depends on how far away the birds are. i have a zoom lens that goes to 600mm, which really makes a difference, and i have several spots i visit for bird photos where i can often get much closer than most folks are able to. between the two, if cropping is necessary, it usually isn't much... though sometimes i do have to crop a lot to get a decent view...

i've found over the years that the best single thing you can do to help image quality is use the best lenses you can get your hands on. i see you use a 40D... i had one of those for several years, and got many good photos with it. but without good lenses, what body you use doesn't make a whole lot of difference... if you want clear, sharp photos, good-quality lenses are a must. yo don't have to spend a ton of money on "L" lenses, but stay away from the bottom-tier "consumer" lenses if you can.

as for your hawk and owl photos, you didn't mention what lens you're using, but unless you can get pretty close, you'll need at least a 300mm lens to get decent results. 400mm is better still. on the 40D, a 400mm lens will give you very respectable photos, and if you shop around, especially now that the new model is out, you can probably find a good used 100-400 zoom lens for a reasonable price. i used one of those for 7 years, and it served me very well, until i recently got the Tamron 150-600. as an example of what the 40D is capable of with a good lens, here's one i took in 2009 with my 40D and 100-400 lens at 400mm.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

Last edited by squirl033; Apr 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Rocky,
Thank you so much for the information. I recently got the Tamron 150-600 lens also. However, my photos are very soft looking. I'm just missing something. I added some of my photos over on the Critique forum.

Last edited by Lotuslady; Apr 14, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:08 PM   #6

Great series, Rocky! .
It is so nice to know where the nest is for improved chances of getting better shots.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Great series, Rocky! .
It is so nice to know where the nest is for improved chances of getting better shots.
thanks, WCKSer! i will definitely be going back in a couple of weeks to get more shots!

~ Three Dog Night