Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Looks like my speciality is small birds after all :-P

Gold Finch posing for me :

These were taken at about 15 feet, with the Sigma 50-500 EX @ 500mm

He was really looking where that 'weird' noise was coming from, refering to the mirror flap noise coming from the DRebel

A Black Capped Chikedee

Larger shots here :

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...r=1867&thumb=1

Today it's too windy to do anything outside, but I'm on vacation next week, guess I'll go in the wild and try to bring more bird shots.

Cheers everyone
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 1:07 PM   #2

Eric
The first shot of the Gold Finch is a real eye catcher for me, the defused bright backgound above the head really adds to the charm of this shot.

The shot of the Chikedee is also a real winner in my eyes.

Great signs that sping may be near

Thanks for sharing
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 1:45 PM   #3

I like the pose in the first one, but it needs a little fill flash. Luckly for you at 15 feet, most reasonable flashes will reach that far. The second two suffer from the same problem (less light means less detail) but the poses only kinda work for me. Sure they are interesting, but just not my style. Maybe it's because I'm reading an Arthor Moris book, who is very traditional in his style (although some would say he created the style.)

The chickadee is interesting. You exposed for the darker side and accepted that you'll blow the hilight on the head. I think that was the right choice, and because of it you have great feather detail (except for the front/top of the head) and that shows of the coloration and pattern beautifully. Very nice... a common bird (at least where I am) but done very well. I like it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 3:48 PM   #4

All very nicely done. I especially like how the colors of each bird blend into the background--greens for the finch, more monochromatic for the Chickadee--which looks like the same bird that's called either a marsh tit or willow tit here in Japan (hashibuto-gara or ko-gara). Hard to tell from a single photo, but very close.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 4:40 PM   #5
w2m

Default Nice Shots

Some nice shots. :lol: Bird shots are not all that easy. It took me quite a few attemps to get a chickadee with the eye clearly visible and exposed nicely because the eye is black and the surrounding feathers are black. The "key" to getting a very good shot of the eye may be a bright sunny day... at least it was for me.

Soon I am going to get one of those 50-500 Bigmas too <grin>

Bill
w2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deexley
Eric
The first shot of the Gold Finch is a real eye catcher for me, the defused bright backgound above the head really adds to the charm of this shot.

The shot of the Chikedee is also a real winner in my eyes.

Great signs that sping may be near

Thanks for sharing
Thanks Deexley, hope snow have stop falling in NS, here we have good signs of springs, Red shouldered Black Bird have invaded my backyard. Gold Finch, House Finch, Starling have started singing their mating song, hope for more migrating birds.

Cheers
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I like the pose in the first one, but it needs a little fill flash. Luckly for you at 15 feet, most reasonable flashes will reach that far. The second two suffer from the same problem (less light means less detail) but the poses only kinda work for me. Sure they are interesting, but just not my style. Maybe it's because I'm reading an Arthor Moris book, who is very traditional in his style (although some would say he created the style.)

The chickadee is interesting. You exposed for the darker side and accepted that you'll blow the hilight on the head. I think that was the right choice, and because of it you have great feather detail (except for the front/top of the head) and that shows of the coloration and pattern beautifully. Very nice... a common bird (at least where I am) but done very well. I like it.

Thanks Eric for the elaborated critics, appreciate it.

I changed ways of shooting now with the DRebel, I tend to expose "to the right" on the edge of blowing out highlights now, but I use ISO 800, this way I can use faster shutter speed for these small ever moving birds. The secret is not to get any underexposed shots, then noise will be too bad when compensating in C1 Rebel. I don't mind noise for the background, thats an easy fix, but for finer detail feathers on a bird, its a killer.

The reason why I went from ISO 400 to ISO 800 is from the fact that I shoot often in the shades and I'm stuck shooting at low shutter speed. I shoot 90% of the time in M mode with the DRebel.

Cheers

Eric
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
All very nicely done. I especially like how the colors of each bird blend into the background--greens for the finch, more monochromatic for the Chickadee--which looks like the same bird that's called either a marsh tit or willow tit here in Japan (hashibuto-gara or ko-gara). Hard to tell from a single photo, but very close.
Hello Norm, thanks for the nice comments. If you could hear how this chikedee sings and move around, probably we would find a near cousin of this species in Japan. They are quite fun to watch too.

Cheers
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:35 AM   #9

Default Re: Nice Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2m
Some nice shots. :lol: Bird shots are not all that easy. It took me quite a few attemps to get a chickadee with the eye clearly visible and exposed nicely because the eye is black and the surrounding feathers are black. The "key" to getting a very good shot of the eye may be a bright sunny day... at least it was for me.

Soon I am going to get one of those 50-500 Bigmas too <grin>

Bill
Thank you Bill, understand what you mean there. It all depends where the sun comes from. The shot of the Chikedee was taken with sun rays going true cedar trees, so the bird was partially illuminated, as you can see.

Here's another shot I took earlier this winter, this one was taken with a EF 100-300 USM, before I bought the Bigma

Cheers
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:42 AM   #10

Eric, do you have full auto control using the Bigma on the DR when at 500mm f/6.3?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote