Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:58 PM   #11

pavaros
The guess was a Junco, but we never saw it in one piece. Looking at the leg I thought it might be a larger sparrow, but who knows?

Kanji
Thank you for the complement. I work very hard to take the best I can, so it's very satisfying when others appreciate my pictures.

slipe
We wouldn't want to do that to your nice parrot :shock:

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:05 AM   #12

Spectacular shot. I wish I saw more raptors. Whats that directly under him on the limb? Looks like an insect of some sort.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:31 AM   #13

The thing under the tree limb is the entrails of the bird that it was eating. There wasn't much left of it. Only a strip from the leg you see sticking up to the bit that was hanging over the edge on the other side.

Eric
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:35 AM   #14

it looks like it must be another bird of prey......cuz no sparrows have "hair" on there legs.......i'll have to look up wat a junco looks like...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:38 PM   #15

The claws aren't big enough for a bird of pray (not the foot/toes, the actual claws.)

My view is that it isn't a Junco because it's too big. But the group I was with thought Junco and heck... there really isn't enough to work with to tell. So I just go with their guess.

Eric
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:09 PM   #16

You could always have gone up to mr bird of prey and politely asked: " good day to you sir! what seems to be on the menu today?"
I looked at your pics, and I would say that I like the way you framed it with the bird looking left the best.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:21 PM   #17

I looked at the leg from all of your shots, and I think that there is a lot of down. Could it have been the chick of a larger seed eater, since the Merlin is smallish?

Also, I like shot four the best because the Merlin looks irritated at being interrupted.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:37 PM   #18

MoonGypsy
An interesting idea. Maybe. Merlin's don't normally go for something small, but it might have taken a chick or something that had fledged (but I'm be a bit surprised as this was taken just recently... what would be fledging now?)

I'm picking from my shots for a show among other photographers this weekend. It's between #4 and #5 to me. Hard to pick. Interesting that you liked 4 better... I like the look on it, but the composition of 5 is better to me.

Eric