Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 8, 2004, 2:37 PM   #11

oh man! how cool! i want a great blue heron in my yard!!!

actually i've had Red-Tailed Hawks in my yard....haven't been able to take pictures though ...the one he flew away before i got to take a picture of it.....and the other time i can remember i didn't have my G2 yet....i only had a cheap 20 dollar point and shoot film...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 3:15 PM   #12

Ah - I found this fellow - sadly the light was not all that good. Really, I needed to spend all day on the lake and I had an hour and a half.

http://album.wizards.co.uk/heron.jpg

Not a blue heron I think - I don't recognise this fellow, unless he's a juvenile? Anyone know what he is?

ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 3:20 PM   #13

this is just a guess but maybe a Grey Heron...or a Multicolored Heron (i think they are actual species...lol..i've heard the names before..)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 3:24 PM   #14

slipe wrote:
Quote:

Here's your heron with just auto-levels and a little defogging

That looks pretty good!! I took the pic just before dark that's why it looks as dark as it does. Did you use Photoshop to touch it up?

Lou
Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 3:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Not a blue heron I think - I don't recognise this fellow, unless he's a juvenile? Anyone know what he is?

I think that is the tricolored heron. It isn't a juvenile great blue but a separate species. You usually see them by themselves in shallow flats. I've never seen more than one at a time and they are never near the large groups of egrets, spoonbills and other waders that frequent the waterway across from my house at low tide. You see the great blues there but they maintain separation from the other birds (more likely the other birds maintain the separation – the great blues are mean and aggressive). The tricolors seem to prefer being completely alone. They are really pretty birds.

Quote:
Did you use Photoshop to touch it up?

I used Photoshop, but any image editor would do fine. If I were going to print it I would sharpen a layer and then just erase in the sharpened heron to the unsharpened photo. The photo is great as it is but I think just the heron needs a little sharpening.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 4:28 PM   #16

Well, I found a few more pix of various herons including the Tricoloured, and I didn't think this chap matched up. But it's your neck of the woods (this pic was taken on Merrit Island) so I bow to your local knowledge. :-) I'll keep an eye out for another pic to macth my mugshot.
Old May 8, 2004, 5:11 PM   #17

I found this photo of a tricolor online. Color variation is normal. Challanger's blue heron is really blue. Ours are mostly gray. The green on Zsa Zsa's face varies seasonally and some egrets have no green at all. The bird identification page says the tricolor can have a blue-gray bill or yellow – both black tipped. I'm pretty sure it is a tricolor:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 6:22 PM   #18

I'd agree on the Tri-coloured heron. I had quite a bit of luck taking pics of Marsh Birds on the lake at my prior home. http://www.imageattic.com/MyBackyard...irds/index.htmMy method is to always try and keep something between me and the bird so he feels safe. They assume I won't jump over water and/or bushes to get them.

When I'm looking for a bird ID down this way, I check this site. http://www.valdosta.edu/~bergstrm/gafl.html They have just about every bird I've seen here in Florida in thewild.

And if I have no idea where the bird is from: http://www.worldbirder.com/photonew/lists/familys_e.asp

Jody
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 6:52 PM   #19

Yes, that is a Tricolored Heron. Wonderful birds... they are rarely up where I am. I'd love to get a shot of one.

I was going to jokingly say that herons are hard to photograph unless you live in Florida, but you demonstrated that better than I could ever say. A picture is worth a thousand words.

The green on the Egrets face is a mating season thing. Don't you put green on your face to impress the ladies? :-)

JodyQ

World Birder looks nice, thanks for the link.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 7:36 AM   #20

slipe wrote:
Quote:

I found this photo of a tricolor online.
Ahh - that looks much more like my chap. Cheers.