Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 7, 2004, 9:11 PM   #1

I found these little Warbler today while looking for new species to shoot for, taken at the local marsh on the Ottawa river.

It's the first time I'm photographing Warbler, I looked in my bird book and it seems they are Yellow-rumped Warbler. The first one was taken at 16 feet, the second at about 23 feet and the last one about the same.

They are very cute looking, aren't they ?

Larger image here :

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...mp;ppuser=1867

Cheers everyone :-)
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2004, 12:16 AM   #2

Wow, nice photos! I don't think I've ever seen one of those birds, they must not live this far south... very pretty!
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 12:17 AM   #3

Beautiful...almost too sharp
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 7:11 AM   #4

Guitarman wrote:
Quote:
Wow, nice photos! I don't think I've ever seen one of those birds, they must not live this far south... very pretty!

First time I've seen them here also, just read in the bird books that these are the first warbler to show in a given area in spring when they migrate up north, I live in the south-western part of Quebec.

Cheers and thanks !
Old May 8, 2004, 10:58 AM   #5

beautiful pictures!

i wonder if warblers are as rare up there as they are in New Jersey.....you hardly ever see them here...actually i'm not sure i ever have.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 11:18 AM   #6

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
beautiful pictures!

i wonder if warblers are as rare up there as they are in New Jersey.....you hardly ever see them here...actually i'm not sure i ever have.....
Thanks Vito, they are not rare, but you have to find them in the woods for sure. Think some species comes at feeders too. This one is as I read the first one coming up here in my region.

Cheers and thanks

Old May 8, 2004, 11:40 AM   #7

photosbyvito(and others)

As the resident birder I can say warblers aren't realy that rare in your area. They fly from (I believe) South America up the east coast. I they don't summer here (near Boston MA) so I assume they go further into Canada (don't know that for a fact, though.) The problem is that you have to look for them at the right time of year. This is warbler season here, but I think it's just starting to taper off. I don't know for sure, though.

I wanted to see more of them this year, but didn't. Didn't realize the season was so short. I have some pictures of a Black and White warbler that I need to edit up. They normally move a lot, but this one was sedidated so I got some decent shots.

Eric CAN,

Something seems a bit odd about these shots. Did you run them through neat image? It almost looks a bit... plastic-y to me in that first shot.... oh, wait. I think I see it. There is an out-of-focus thing just in front (on our right) slightly covering the bird. That is probably it.

Either way, nice shot. Most warblers move around a lot, so it can be hard to get good shots. Very good light in that second one. Looks great in front of the darker background, making it stand out. That is really good (did I say that already?)

And this is the "Myrtle" variety of Yellow-rumped warbler. The "Audubon's" version has a yeallow throat and slightly different wing color/pattern.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 11:54 AM   #8

thanks eric

i guess that makes sense...i should get a good pair of binoculars and go walk in the woods...see if i can find some...

i'm in New Jersey....so i might be too late this year...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 1:50 PM   #9

eric s wrote:
Quote:
photosbyvito (and others)

As the resident birder I can say warblers aren't realy that rare in your area. They fly from (I believe) South America up the east coast. I they don't summer here (near Boston MA) so I assume they go further into Canada (don't know that for a fact, though.) The problem is that you have to look for them at the right time of year. This is warbler season here, but I think it's just starting to taper off. I don't know for sure, though.

I wanted to see more of them this year, but didn't. Didn't realize the season was so short. I have some pictures of a Black and White warbler that I need to edit up. They normally move a lot, but this one was sedidated so I got some decent shots.

Eric CAN,

Something seems a bit odd about these shots. Did you run them through neat image? It almost looks a bit... plastic-y to me in that first shot.... oh, wait. I think I see it. There is an out-of-focus thing just in front (on our right) slightly covering the bird. That is probably it.

Either way, nice shot. Most warblers move around a lot, so it can be hard to get good shots. Very good light in that second one. Looks great in front of the darker background, making it stand out. That is really good (did I say that already?)

And this is the "Myrtle" variety of Yellow-rumped warbler. The "Audubon's" version has a yeallow throat and slightly different wing color/pattern.

Eric
Quote:
You got that right Eric, nice eyes.. there was a branch in the way for the first image, that's why the right feather (black) is not black at all, creating also a weird out of focus effect on it.
Quote:
Cheers !