Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 9, 2004, 11:27 PM   #1

This little jack snipe decided to take up residence on our church's parking lot. It's supposed to be blacktopped shortly, so I hope she hurries up and hatches her eggs.....

Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2004, 11:54 PM   #2

A nice shot, and getting the egg is an added treat. Aren't those red eyes so very odd?

I hate to say it, though, but this is a Killdeer (unless "Jack Snipe" is a local name, as I can only find "Common Snipe" in my birding book.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 12:21 AM   #3

Jack Snipe might be a local name, it's what everyone around here calls them. I don't have a book on birds, so I would say that you're probably right about that. The red eyes are very cool. I think they're a very pretty bird, and they are funny, they're very protective of that nest. You get too close and she'll give you an earful!
Old May 10, 2004, 8:03 AM   #4

I believe this bird (like many, but not all) will fake being hurt and "limp" away with a bad wing if you get too close. This is to try to lead you away from the nest (they are "easy food" when hurt, so the preditor follows them) and then when they get far enough from the nest they fly away.

I wouldn't bother them too much, though, as if they leave the nest you are contributing to the cooling of the eggs. Not a good thing, they need constant warmth.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 8:47 AM   #5

Yep, that's exactly what they'll do if you get too close. They are really funny to watch. Beautiful creatures. Fortunately, there aren't many cars or people around the area she's at during the week.... at least she put the nest at the far end of the lot from the building. Hopefully folks will leave her alone and let her hatch the eggs. She was kinda riled up when I took that picture yesterday, I bet she never figured on that spot getting so busy on one given day since it's normally a pretty quiet spot!