Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 17, 2004, 9:06 PM   #1

Here's a snapshot I took today in the Pinyon Pine/Juniper habitat of western Colorado near Colbran. Taken with my new Panasonic FZ-10, hand held at about 4 meters. Though overcast, I was shooting up into the light through a 'hole' in the branches to the back side of a Rocky Mountain Juniper where the bird was hiding.

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 11:10 PM   #2

Beautiful shot Hummer! If you keep that camera on low ISO you'll have loads of fun with it. Congrats on the purchase.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 6:40 AM   #3

An excelent result hand held :!: I like the colour but I wonder about the forehead an bill, is it slightly outside of the depth of field ?

Regards, Graham.

Please visit www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 7:45 AM   #4

I'd never seen a mountain bluebird before (they are very rarely around where I am) so I had to look them up. Nice shot. Good exposure against the bright sky.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 6:59 PM   #5

Graham, at about 18 feet the x-shaped spot meter sight fully covered the bird and I am relying on the camera to focus, but it might not be a focus issue. Even at 12x zoom, the photo is cropped significantly and the remaining pixels reduced by a factor of about 10 for posting here.

I am quickly becoming disallusioned by the LCD and EVF viewfinders because I can barely see the subject bird let alone determine precise focus. With my progressive lens glasses, the EVF is virtually useless and the manual focus unusable. I can remove my glasses to see both screens better but still, finding a small bird in a large scene is not easy. It amazes me that I'm still having good success but I want a true through the lens viewer and the compact Leica IS 12x zoom lens as on this FZ-10.

Norm, I noticed my ISO was set at 100 for this photo, so I have reset to 50 for some new bluebird shots which I took today, along with the towhee and gnatcatcher. Will post them separately. Thanks,

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 12:08 PM   #6

Hummer...

Great capture esp given that camera could have easily focused on something nearby other than the bird!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 10:31 PM   #7

Hummer, I love the FZ10 but never go above ISO 50. If I can't shoot at ISO 50 I simply stop shooting rather than download dissapointing product. I think you'll be quite happy with ISO 50 shooting. I have no trouble dealing with this. I simply accept the fact that there is a time limit and light limit to shooting with the camera. Considering the benefits (tiny, considering zoom range), I'm happy to abide within these boundaries.

PS - I use the button on the left of the lens that, when pushed down, auto focusus immediately. However, today it went on the fritz and I have to push it back up to manual. I may have gotten some dust in the gear or something but it's a bit frustrating since I use that means of focus quite a bit. Just a heads up on that since you have the camera. You may find that that gear quits on you if you tend to use it quite a bit. I'm still on warrenty so I'll probably send it back to get fixed when I get my Rebel back.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote