Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 18, 2004, 5:34 PM   #1

Here's a photo I took today of a Green-tailed Towhee in the rugged juniper & montane shrubland habitat west of Rifle, Colorado. Some of vegetative components which attract this fellow include Gambel oak, sage, mountain mahogany and snowberry. The Green-tailed towhee is quite a songster, like the Spotted Towhee, and they are often seen in the same areas.

The shot was taken about mid-morning, thus the bright reflection from the Gambel oak twigs. Any suggestions about how to post process to tone it down? I was shooting from about 22 feet with my FZ-10, hand held.

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2004, 7:32 PM   #2

This is the same photo, prior to cropping. No changes except for resizing and reducing quality. Maybe this is better? Hmmm....

Forgive me, but this is the first I've ever posted my photos so I'm experimenting.

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 9:51 PM   #3

thunder has set in , so I should get off the computer.

If you wanted a larger view, I would use the "rule of thirds" and place the bird in the lower right of the shot. Crop away a lot, but not as much as you did in the first one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 7:59 AM   #4

Another fine result but I think you've reached or slightly exceeded the enlargement potential of the image. As Eric suggests there are ways of making more out of a smaller image. Nice bird.

Regards, Graham.

Please visit www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 10:45 PM   #5

It's an excellent shot, Hummer, and doesn't need much from what I can see personally. It is slightly overexposed from what I can see on the twigs. I tend to do my best to have the sun directly behind me as much as possible and set my shutter fast enough that I can hand-hold effectively. I also try to ensure that my aperture is closed down enough that I'm giving myself a good chance at sharp focus.To me, and in my way of shooting,the only problem with this shot is that it is slightly overexposed and I personally might have tried to stop down just a touch or increase the shutter speed. Boy, you are doing great with that camera right off the line!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote