Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 21, 2004, 10:27 PM   #1

I finally got a reasonably decent shot of a Heron. It was from my car and I didn't want to get any closer in fear that it would vanish. I shot it at full optical zoom with 1.5 Lumix extenderfrom the driver's seat. Of course all are cropped quite a bit. I had a heck of a time getting a decent "eye" exposure on this wonderful bird (played with a whole pile of settings). The Avocet and mate that I shot a week or so ago to my pleasure came back which was a huge bonus. The Least Sandpiper shot was done the other day but I just found it, liked the color, so decided to post. All in all, I was having a pile of fun and all in the comfort of my car.

Avocet (I love the color and bill on these wonders) If I could be in love with a bird this one would be at the top of the list.

I believe this is a "Least Sandpiper (calidris minutilla)." Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2004, 9:01 AM   #2

Nice shots, I like the last one the best.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 10:02 AM   #3

hey norm...nice shots....

the last two are great...

but the first two seem to have the same problem i've had when shooting herons....the colors don't seem as saturated as the should be, and the doesn't seem as sharp as it could be...i don't know how you could fix it......i've been told to use the fastest shutter and a higher ISO but that kills me with noise, and would probably do the same to you....i'm not sure....i think i might go to the park next week during the day and try to take some more...i'll PM you or post the results...

nice job

you got the harder part down....you got close enough to it to fill the frame, i have to do that yet

lol

Vito

EDIT...did i mention how much i love the way you composed the last two with the reflections? very good job there!

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 4:30 PM   #4

I just got back from another photo session with "SeƱor Garza" at our local nature area. One thing that makes a big difference is the value of the background. This guy was poking around in front of some very green middle value foliage and the contrast in his plumage came out very nice. I'm shooting with a -.66 adjustment on the exposure bias. I caught him snagging a fish. It doesn't seem to matter what I use for a lens opening size as far as improving the sharpness at the full extension of the telephoto. Getting closer helps and I'll have to go at a time when there aren't school tours as he flys across the pond to get away from the throngs.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 11:04 PM   #5

That last shot is really very nice. So much about photography is a good subject is great light. This shot demonstrates that well.

The Avocet is a great bird, and you shot it off well. Very nice.

I agree that he herons are not as contrasty as they could be. Some of this is because of the out of focus reeds infront of the bird. Not much you can do about those (but move... which you couldn't easily do with the car.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 11:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the input Eric, I love that bird more every time it graces me with it's presence. And it's kids are now present, which is even more of a greatness.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote