Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 24, 2004, 10:01 PM   #1

I'm having trouble finding this one in a book.Is it a sparrow of some sort? Any suggestions would be appreciated.Other than cropping and a slight brightening of the first photothese were not touched. I thought I might sharpen once but decided against it.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2004, 8:35 AM   #2

I was going to vote with sparrow too, but a quick skim of the sparrow section of one of my bird books doesn't seem to match it up. I am a really bad sparrow ID're, though, so it still could be.

I like that second picture. Good expression, fairly good light (might like a bit more on the head, but you can't have everything.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 8:50 AM   #3

wow! go norm! the clarity and sharpness in these are very nice! they seem a little dark...and might be able to use a little contrast....butnicely composed and focused

well done!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4

Normcar,

Try here:

http://www.birdphotography.com/species/savs.html

http://www.birdphotography.com/

Looks like a Savannah Sparrow

Nice shots,

Jody
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 7:44 PM   #5

Confirming JodyQ, it isa Savanah Sparrow

Nice shot Norm, btw what is your location ? And where have you photographed them ?

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 10:12 PM   #6

Thanks Eric CAN and JodyQ for the identification. I looked it up and it sure looks to me like that's the one. It was in the one book I didn't check.

Vito and eric, I agree with you on the exposure.However, I didn't notice the slight underexposure until you brought it to my attention. I don't trust my monitor view but it must be close to properly calibrated because the underexposure is clear on my monitor too, slight but definitely there. Sometimes it takes 24 hours and a fresh look to spot these things.

I have another bird I need identified and I'll post it in a new string. While taking photos of this particular bird I looked down into the muck and what I believe to be a muskrat of some sort was staring at me. He then hissed and attacked, I jumped up and he dove back into the muck never to be seen again. It was wild. I'll post the photo in the new string.
Old May 25, 2004, 10:17 PM   #7

he attacked you?!?!?! no way?! man....are you ok?

dude...can't wait for that thread!
Old May 25, 2004, 11:12 PM   #8

Eric CAN, I'm shooting in central Alberta on the prairie. Lots of small ponds. However, many are drying up which is somewhat discouraging to see.
Old May 25, 2004, 11:24 PM   #9

ohh alberta

i'm gonna be driving through alberta (i think) the summer of 2006....(well..i won't be....well...maybe)

Old May 26, 2004, 12:56 PM   #10

I just wanted to toss out that one of my books (didn't have time to check the others) show the Savanah Sparrow as having more streaks on the breast than this bird. But that yellow spot on the head and other head features do look exactly correct.

So I didn't feel confident enough to post. I'll have to check it with others, as the book I used (The Sibley Guide to Birds) is one of the best out there. So it surprised me that this was different.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote