Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:41 PM   #1

Here's a handsome fellow who let me take his picture today. Black-headed Grosbeaks are fairly common in woodlands throughout the west. This guy was singing his robin-like song from atop the Gambel oak on the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. He looks a bit like the Spotted Towhee but the grosbeak is larger, somewhat slower and is normally seen higher in the canopy than the shrub dwelling towhee.

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 8:56 PM   #2

Nice, I've never seen one before. I've shot some of the red-breasted, but not this one.

You've had better shots photographically... something seem a bit odd. Slight out of focus or less sharp than it could be? I don't know what it is.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3

Hummer, I like it very much. Great emotion, super color saturation, and I personally don't see a problem with the focus. In fact it appears to me that you had your aperture stopped down enough to get a nice focus on both bird and trees surrounding. I love it!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:01 AM   #4

I think that you took a superb shot, Hummer! There might be just the tiniest bit of motion blur on the grosbeak's head (barely) and this might have been what Eric was alluding to. But, believe me, I ain't downgrading this photo because of that - it's better than anything I've taken of birds...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:35 PM   #5

What a great looking bird. And you caught him in action telling the world about it.

Super color and again I really like the description you are able to give to the photo, definitely adds a different dimension.

I can see I am going to have to get some bird identification books!

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:42 PM   #6

Thank you all for the comments. I do agree with eric though, the wing, rump and tail are a bit soft and over exposed. Considering that it was mid-day, a ~5 mph wind, and I shot it at 12x zoom hand held, then cropped about 50%, the photo is understandably imperfect. It wouldn't sell to a magazine but it's a good representation of the bird and would be ok for a slide show. I've shot many slides of these birds over the years but this is the best yet. I'm pleased with the result but will continue hunting for something better.

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote