Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1

A new couple I followed for the past 5 days, if you've read my previous post, the other couple lost all 5 chicks due to a snake that ate them all.

These 2 photos are ofthe male, been studying the behavior of the couple and I found this couple is much more experienced. The male does most of the food supply, while the female takes care of the chicks. She's the one who make sure everything is clean in the nest. Part of the surprising behavior of these Warblers is the fact that they constantly stay in contact. The male who's flying constantly to provide food for the 5 chicks always announce his departure to the female. The same pattern happens all the time, he makes some leaps towards open branches, then announce he's leaving. Then we don't hear any other noise for a while. If the male takes too long to come back, many time the female will call, and hundreds of meter away the male will reply.

When the female needs to feed for her needs, she'll announce that intention and the male will stay in proximity of the nest. They never leave the nest more than minutes and are always close by. I didn't try to get clear shots of the nest, only I could view what's going on through my 500mm lens. To get a clear shot, I would need to toss the grass surrounding the nest, which I don't intend to do from my previous experience with the other couple.

Cheers everyone

Larger image and EXIF here :

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...mp;ppuser=1867
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:43 AM   #2

Very pretty!

I especially like the second shot. They almost look like paintings:-)
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:23 PM   #3

Thanks Jaz, they are beautiful aren't they ? :-)

Cheers
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:13 PM   #4

Great job in following these little wonders who are extremely difficult to keep track of because they rush about like little yellow flashes of lightning. It must have been really interesting following them about as you did. A look into their eyes seems to tell me that they remain a bit curious but you have been accepted into their world. They're still wondering about your motives but you are not an immediate threat. Nice work eric!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:34 PM   #5

oh man....i thought i posted already...

well....these are two more beautiful bird shots to add to your gallery..

very nice!

eric....you gotta be careful....you're setting REALLY high standards for yourself!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:38 PM   #6

Thanks Norm, I'll go back tomorrow again at the marsh, I wanna see the progress of the little ones. I have doubt that all 5 would make it. I'm not sure if the 2 parents can sustain 5 hungry mouths. The more I study them, the more I get this impression that birds really have a hard time during this time of the year. There's no comparison in terms of work they do to what we do as human. It's not an easy going life for sure.

Cheers
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:42 PM   #7

I know Vito and I won't back off, the small birds are really tough, since to get sharpness you need close shots to be taken. And this can be very frustrating at times. Some days I'm there and I go back with not a single decent shot (to my taste) to work off on the PC. I admire the work of Normcar, Eric s and others, since I know how difficult it is to create nice bird shots. And then we haveso many species we would hope for toget many shotsof. The more I thinkabout it, the more I believe birding is a things of many years to come. You can't do it all in a single season. And then you're getting better andthestandards increase. Neverending story it seems, but its very rewarding. What's interesting is to actually get to understand them better.

Cheers
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:45 PM   #8

very true...birds don't seem to like being to close to humans....my theory (haven't put it to work yet...lol) is that the best way to do it, is to sit in the same spot for a couple hours, maybe have some food stashed somewhere where you can expose the shot well....and wait....

at least i know the "chase all over the pond" way doesn't work

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:50 PM   #9

Eric, keep good good written and photographicnotes and keep posting photos. I envy your position and the fact that you seem to be accepted into that little community.

PS- I have no doubt that those birds are sensing your concern for their well-being. I look forward to some absolutely fantastic wildlife photographs from you, Eric. Excellent work!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:53 PM   #10

Yes Vito, but the real trick is to study them at some distance. You have to figure out their patterns, sometimes they don't seem to have a pattern at all. At this time of the season most of them do, if they have to feed chicks. I have my eyes on other species, like the Waxwing, which I've taken few shots. And then there's other interesting species, but I didn't grasp completly their way of living yet. Eventually there's other area I should go, like going in deeper forest where different species could be seen. But the marsh area is a nice place since there's a vast variety of trees around, from open marsh to deeper forest near by. Then there's this issue with mosquito... LOL I hate it !

Cheers, time to sleep now