Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:31 PM   #1
djb

These are definitely not great but are my best so far. taken at about 40+ meters with the Raynox 2.2x tele lense on my s602z. the flight pic shows a lot of color fringing.

dennis

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2

Hey, what matters more is that you got them. Unless you are lucky, they are hard to sneak up on. The flight picture didn't load for me, don't know why.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:39 PM   #3

I just noticed you are in Hudson, MA. There is a variety of good places to hike and photograph out that way. You're a bit far away from one of my favorite places to photograph herons. Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Concord.

http://greatmeadows.fws.gov/

http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1407

I've gotten about 8 feet away from some Great Blue Herons there.

Eric
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:27 PM   #4
djb

Eric, thanx for the comments and the links. Hudson is only 3 towns over from Concord. it takes about 20 to 30 minutes on a slow day on rte. 117. unfortunately i can't hike much especially in hneven terrain due to my hips. i need replacements. well, if i walk about 1 mph i might be ok. my other favorite hobby is metal detecting and i can't do much of that either. anyway, i really do like herons and all sorts of birds af wildlife. now it's just a matter of getting closer and closer or get longer and longer telphotos. maybe a 10d or 1dmk2 is in the works for next year along with lots of nice glass to go with the camera. are you near or in Concord? maybe we'll bump into one another someday. later.

dennis

oh, as for the in flight pic not loading, i don't know why as it loads for me.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:44 PM   #5

I got the flight picture this time. It's a little overexposed, but you might not have been able to help that. That isn't exactly a high performance lens (Especially with the 2.2x TC.)

Actually, great meadows is very flat. Let me see if I have a picture from the observation tower. This picture is from when it was flooded from all that rain earlier this year:

http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/web_pos...dows_water.jpg

That thing that looks like a line of grass sticking up from the water is a cosway that splits the two ponds (well, right now only one has water and the other has been drained. Which means the herons hunt the fish in it. I saw 15+ herons this afternoon.)

It is VERY flat and easy to walk. I can appreciate your hip problem, I hurt mine years ago and it bothers me on occasion and my knees have been swelling off-and-on since last fall. I'm not happy as the doctors don't really understand it. They just know that surgery is not an option.

I live over near waltham, so I'm about 10 miles from Great Meadows. I don't go there that often... but for no good reason. It can be a great place at times.

I'm about to post a heron picture from great meadows that I took between the rain drops today. Wish the weather was better.

Eric
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:48 PM   #6
djb

Eric, thanx!!! if i have time tomorrow i'll take my dad for a drive to take a look see. i'll take a peek att he other links you mentioned earlier too. thanx again.

dennis