Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:27 PM   #11

Vito - thanks for the link to that tutorials site! It looks like it's gonna get a few more hits from me in the coming days...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:40 PM   #12

oh no problem....it's got pretty much every tutorial i've ever seen on it...

should i post it elsewhere? i didn't even think that more people might want it.....i'm bright aren't i?

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:44 PM   #13

It could be real useful for many others, so perhaps you should post it (if it's not already posted - do a search) in "Digicam Help/Tips & Tricks" or in "Software/Editors".
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:03 AM   #14

:shock::shock::shock:

WOW!

i thought my little nikon 80-200 f/2.8was sharp.....yours is awsome!!

i love the dof...

*@%#^(@! stupid plant!!:ak47:

vito, nice avatar, is that you signature, or did you type it like that?

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:08 AM   #15

Fantastic shot Eric, congratulations. I don't think the plant is distracting but gives a naturalness to the scene.

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:10 AM   #16

Wow that looks great.

How far away were you to take a great shot like that with that large lens.

Yes the plant is distracting since you pointed it out, probably would not have noticed it otherwise.

If photography is what you are into then that is where you should spend your money.

Looks like money well spent to me with a tool like that you can keep turning out amazing work like the shot you posted here.

Thanks for sharing, beautiful bird.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:39 AM   #17

GREAT shot, must love the lens .
I sometimes use a 1.4 convertor with my 400 mm lens, and that's allready so close .

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:50 AM   #18

Great shot Eric. The detail is incredible. It is a shame about the plant in the background. But a little photoshopping should clean it up. That or use it as an excuse to get out there and try again. That's what I would do.
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:56 AM   #19

Incredible lens and nice shot. Seems you would be testing out the IS handheld. 1/350 should be sharp as a tack handheld with IS on a 600mm.

That is a lazy bird compared to Bubba, who has laid claim to my back yard. He always displays with his wings out and the tips dragging the ground. When the intruder leaves Bubba always chases him out of sight with lots of squawking.

Photoshop 7 help says:

"
The Brightness/Contrast command lets you make simple adjustments to the tonal range of an image. Unlike Curves and Levels, this command makes the same adjustment to every pixel in the image. The Brightness/Contrast command does not work with individual channels and is not recommended for high-end output, because it can result in a loss of detail in the image."

That lens certainly deserves "high end output". Brightness/Contrast should not be part of a normal workflow. Besides working throughout the range, contrast moves the white and black points the same distance toward or away from each other. Brightness moves them the same distance in the same direction. You seldom want to adjust the white and black points the same amount.

My first step is usually "auto-levels". Then I go back in the history and see if I can do better. Auto-levels is a lot more sophisticated than a simple all channel levels adjustment – "auto-contrast" does that. Sometimes auto-levels gives me something I don't want, but it is easy to just go back a notch in the history. But often it does at least as well as I can do in levels and curves working with individual color channels.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:49 PM   #20

I've only seen a heron go as far as yours (drag the wing tips) a few times. It is a neat display. I think that these really haven't setup territory as much as this bird is just been pushy and showing who's boss. The trough they are fishing in (you can't see it in the picture) is really long (football field or more) so they don't really set up territories as much as just flex their manly muscle. (At least, that is my guess. Who knows?)

Actually I used levels to adjust for contrast and brighness. So while I said "Brightness" I didn't actually use the brightness/contrast dialog for the brightness adjustment. And where I said levels I meant to say layers. I'll go edit that.

I do often use the contrast one just to mess around. See if it looks better. I can adjust it faster (by typing numbers) that with levels.

It's interesting that you like the auto settings. The few times I've tried them it looked so bad I never touched it again. Maybe I'll try it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote