Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:17 PM   #1

This is from a series of shots today (Saturday) of a Hummer enroute to dinner. It proved one thing (non-photographic) to me: Hummers don't always hover to drink - they sometimes get lazy and SIT!!! Just like us! Here's the hummer:

flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2004, 5:58 PM   #2

Nice pictures of them hummers. If you where unsatisfied with the noise from high ISO there is software called "NeatImage" that I use. Its really good stuff. Clean them pictures up quick.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:19 PM   #3

I really like these pictures, flint! The light was just right to really show up the irridescent ruby throat of these ruby-throated hummers.

What kind of camera do you use? Did you do any saturation adjustments to the images before you posted?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:24 PM   #4

Thx guys. I use a Canon 10D. The light was tricky and constantly changing from some sun, to cloudy to a mix. I used some color correction in Photoshop (one wasn't too successful due to various problems and to keep things pretty equal - if you note the red feeder looks decidedly more orange in one shot - these were not done in rapid succession). I was also shooting thru plate glass and, yes, had to use higher ISO on some, inducing more noise than I want. I just didn't spend a lot of time on noise reduction, but appreciate the info on the NeatImage.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:00 PM   #5

NeatImage works wonders in my opinion. It doesnt mean go take pictures in 400 or 800, but it can sure clean up them "Gotta have this shot, shots". I get them now and then where there isnt enough light to get a good shutter speed so I crank that ISO up, and just so happens the photograph was a unique keeper or just happen to come out just right but wish it didnt have soo much noise. Neatimage can change ISO800 to say 200ish. I blur's slightly, but I thought it was sure worth it.

Otherwise, Indeed awesome shots. I have yet to even attempt to get a humming bird...
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:07 PM   #6

I hope you don't mind, but I have noticed some people helping out some others and using their photographs as an example of what X software can do or what a feature in PS can do. Here is what NeatImage can do for that first picture. It took maybe 2 seconds "Litterly" to make it into this.

Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:11 PM   #7

Flint, very nice shots. If you don't mind, might I inquire as to the shutter speed you were using since it appears in that one shot that you may have actually almost stopped the blur of this bird's wing in #3. Outstanding feat indeed without blotting out everything else because the shutter speed needs to be so high.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:24 PM   #8

Don't mind the correction at all. In fact, I already downloaded the demo and tried it myself on the same shot and got the same result (ordered it too, do you get a referral discount, lol?).

As for the file info - Canon 10D 1/350 f:8.0 ISO 800 190mm (zoom lens).
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:29 PM   #9

Yeah I own NeatImage as well. I havent used it much lately, but I think I need to start shooting with 200-400 so I can use 6.3-8 for stops and get some sharper images. I need to do some test samples and see what I can honestly get away with if I so happen to get a shot I absolutely love in ISO400. Anyways, great shots... Hopefully Ill find tons of times on my vacation time coming up in another week... :P Plans are already being made to go to some small islands where many endangered birds and others live (Your not allowed to go on the island, just near). Im sure Ill have some pictures to show in the next few weeks... :P
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:30 PM   #10

Why does the : P (No space) make this face? :P argh... Gotta remember not to type that anymore...