Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:28 PM   #1

I waited and waited in vain that he would actually come back, already moved my tripod to a better location, I was literally burried in a bush tree when I waited after. Guess he had other things to do than pose for me :lol:

I'll try better next time

Cheers !

EXIF and full size image here :

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...mp;ppuser=1867
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:02 PM   #2

Great photos Eric. That brilliant blue sky just magnifies the overall color. The bird seems to be saying, "What is this guy going, all stuck in the bushes when he can't even fly."

I do think that they get more entertainment out of us than we get out of them from time to time.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:10 PM   #3

Hehe Norm, actually that bush tree was a nasty one, it has those very fine and sharp needles where if you're not carefull are a reminder that it can hurt.

Something funny, there was 3 of them (I think) and this one was always the one more in the open, all 3 of them talking to each other. I was near a trail where people walk to other area and at one point I was about 30 feet from that trail, 3 people passed by with there binoculars looking for birds... They never saw me, LOL. When this happens, normally other birds in the area flies away, and this is where I have good chance to catch them off guard. Didn't happened this time, hehe.

Cheers
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:23 PM   #4

very nice shots eric!

you get camouflage yet? lol...that might help you!

great colors and sharpness...like always...you're setting a tough standard dude!

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:03 AM   #5

Great shots! It is photos like these that separate the guys who really know what they are doing.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you keep the sky so blue on your in shadow shots. For me when I raise the brighness enough to get detail on the bird then the sky is all washed out.

Do you ever use a polarizing filter on this type of shot?

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:32 PM   #6

No Zoom, using a polarizing filter would also cut-off brightness of the bird too. Best advise when this happens, shoot at the lowest ISO possible, then meter the sky at about + 1 EC, so its still blue and recoverable in PS. Now the bird will be underexposed, it's a compromise. Using low ISO, if your camera is good at this, by increasing the brightness of the bird only (you'll need to layer this in PS) you can with some good work be able to bring good details. Also since you're in layer, work the background on its own, including the sky. You'll have to play with either the masking tool or the eraser to remove unwanted part - for example by pushing the brightness and contrast of the bird, the rest of that layer will be ugly : the sky will be all white, and area where the leaves are blown highlights it will be even worse. So you'll need to mask these area (or erase) so eventually you have a combination of the best of both layer.

That's how it came out.

Also thanks Vito, appreciate the comments :-)

Cheers
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:46 PM   #7

Eric,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I can see to move to another level I am going to need more equipment.

I don't have a program which will do layering. Although someone gave me a link to a free program with layers called the Gimp, I may have to give it a try.

In the meantime I guess I will just continue to try to get a good exposure on the bird and blow out the sky.

Thanks for sharing your great photos and taking the time to respond with such a thorough explanation, much appreciated.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:04 PM   #8

Zoomm, then my best advise, try to avoid this kind of situation, which actually I don't like too. If I had some decent shots of that bird with proper lighting, then I would have dumped those shots.

Best case scenario you should seek is like these :

You see above, the bird is properly lit, the sun was actually at my 7 o'clock (6 o'clock would be directly behind me), if the bird has predominance of white feathers, push your metering to the left from the center, go around -1 to 1 1/2 EC, meter those white feathers and you'll have a super shot. If the bird is greyish, then meter in the center, if its more black then do the contrary of whitish birds. You could also meter the tree on the left, you can't miss it.

So the key here, front lit, always place yourself so the sun is behind you.

Black bird example :

You can see the details of the black feathers, but if the sky is present, you'll blow the sky for sure (will be grey - whitish), avoid that situation.

This one :

The one above, very easy to expose, the bird doesn't have white feather, and its actually very close to 18% grey, which is how most camera meters.

Another example, less recommended:

The one above, it's possible to expose everything right (almost, look at the blown highlights on the branch) since the bird is very flashy, it's yellow, so aim at the head if you see the sun shinning on it, the sky will normally be exposed properly (was 1/1000 sec, ISO400, F/8) since the bird is so bright to start with. A white bird would do even better actually against a bright blue sky.

Last note, if you have no other choice but to have a blue sky in the picture, try to always aim up north (if you live in northern latitude) , I noticed the sky always have a nicer tone directly at the opposite direction of the sun.

Hope that will help you in the future

Cheers

Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:24 AM   #9

oh eric...thanks for that post! it was helpful...

i love the sharpness of that dove shot...beautiful

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:40 AM   #10

Eric, even though I've never had any love affairs with the Common Grackle, I have to say that I really like your grackle photo above. When I look at the pose that youhave caught this bird in it seems to remind me of an Audubon painting.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote