Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:29 PM   #11

I completely agree with Eric CAN on the ball head. I used a pan/tilt head for a while and while it was easy to use it was very limiting in how I could move and point the camera.

I was lucky enough to find a very good, very expensive ball head in mint condition used. I don't recommend you get the one I did (it's worth more than your camera and it's overkill.) But the concept is still the same. Good sturdy ball head, nice large neck, good mounting quick release plate. I know some people who like Acratech ball heads but that is probably too much money (I don't really, but they are cheaper than what I prefer.)

Bogen makes some decent small ball heads. They have a hex-shaped plate system which is very easy to use. I've never use it myself, but I've messed with it and I know someone who uses it and like it.

I agree with Eric CAN about sharpening. Normal "sharpen" isn't optimal... and there are several good ways to sharpen which are not hard to do. So it's worth learning about better sharpening methods.

Eric

ps. It's good to hear that you use a tripod. They really are required for technically good shots. They also slow you down a bit and you canuse that time to think about composition and what your goal is for the picture.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:32 PM   #12

Eric i do have photoshop and Im still working on that first shot:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:25 PM   #13

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Eric i do have photoshop and Im still working on that first shot:-)

heres what im up to with it.

Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:15 PM   #14

Very nice indeed now, i love it
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:20 PM   #15

This is an excellent string.

Thanks aladyforty for creating it. There's a whole pile of wonderful info coming from this one, especially related to tripods and things. Thanks for starting it! By the way, nice shots indeed.

That first "little devil" is excellent! I don't know if you can improve on the first one, since it was the one that was inspiring all of the copies. Hehe, you must be happy with that indeed. If you can inspire that many copies then you did a "real good" job on the first one. I'll take one copy of the original, thanks.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:49 PM   #16

Julie, it looks like Eric CAN's instructions for PS sharpening really helped your photograph. Your new posted image is very sharp and I don't see hardly any artifacts along the outline of the bird. I've also tried this out on some of my photos using PSE2 with good results. Thank you, Eric CAN!!!!

So, it seems like a ball head is going to be on my shopping list in the coming months. It's expensive participating in these discussions :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:46 AM   #17

Thanks guys, I thinkI have fallen in love with bird watching. I tried again today with the honey eaters and got the first photo here. There was a lot of purple fringing I had to correct, all the leaves as well as the bird, why is this??? It only seems to happen whenI use the 2 by. I need that extra lensat least to get the shots. I tried some of the water birds at out local wetlands not far from home but they were not very impressed with me and none of the shots were any good. As for my first shot, I think I rather like it B/W:-)

Also, on another subject. My printer is stuffing up. The colors are acting as if they are out and they are not. It appears the ink jets are blocked. Took it out and flushed and deep cleaned to no avail, this has worked in the past but not this time. Any other suggestions??? I love this printer, a canon S330 but it looks as if its time for an upgrade.

I just noticed one of the leaves is white:O something else for photoshop i guess

I love the "little devil" in black and white
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:22 AM   #18

Nice job on editing that first picture. I had to swap back and forth a few times to see what you did. Removing that shadow was subtle, but I like it. An expert might have caught it (you can see the branch, after all) but I didn't. And the dominant white backgrount element wasn't distracting to my eye, but it's better without it. And you did a great job removing both of those!

I like that new picture. Not traditional (some purests would put up their nose) but I like watching the birds in all situations, including fruffled (is that even a word?) up liek that.

The purple fringing happens with dark objects (like leaves or birds) on a lighter background (like the sky.) The usual solution for manufacturers is to apply a coating on the lens (which is why some lenses toute their "multi-coatings"). You get exactly the same problem with cheaper spotting scopes. I find it annoying to remove, but I think you did a good job.

Enjoy your birdwatching. I find it to be lots of fun. Relaxing to be outside, but still engaging. Helps me keep my mind of the bad things in the world (and at the same time, I get to see something lovely.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote