Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:55 PM   #21
djb

Eric Can, thanx for this tutorial!!!! i tried the first method at home and it worked fairly well. the results are much more subtle than what i usually do. in the cow method are you saying that by using the brush to uncover the sharpened object that the more you brush a spot, then the more the USM part is displayed?? in other words, i can brush once on one part for a % of USM and brush 3 or 4 times on another part and get more % of the USM? am i correct in assuming this? i could never figure out hoe to sharpen only parts of an image. now i have a way!!! thanx!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:00 PM   #22
djb

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i was a bit confused about the lightening and darkening of the 2 layers. i saw little effect on either layer form 0% to 100%. there was hardly any noticeable difference. was i doing something wrong?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:43 PM   #23

Maintenat Eric peut tu le refaire en francais :homey:
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:44 PM   #24

DOH DOH DOH !

Tu pige absolument rien ou ? Avec les images ca aide a comprendre ?

Ciao
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:57 PM   #25

je sais mais cest avec le merge des 3 calque que jarrive a rien , je ne sais pas comment ????
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:16 PM   #26

et en passant quelle programme utilise tu pour tes petit cadre autor des photos??

Pas PS ?? si oui comment???
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:25 PM   #27

Tu peux expliquer un peu mieux ce que tu veux dire, je vais essayer de t'aider pour ca.

Pour les cadres, c'est des 'actions', si tes veux, je vais te les envoyer par email. Quelle version de PS as-tu ?

Ciao
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:28 PM   #28

je tai envoyer un message prive

photoshop cs

merci
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:26 PM   #29

Eric CAN, you can actually do the same trick (the more you apply the brush, the more is exposed) with the eraser 'cause you can set a Opacity as a % (controls how much it erases.) So you get the same benefit with the eraser as with the brush.

I do agree, though, that it's often much easier to expose the subject with the brush on the mask layer than it is to erase everything else. I usually only use the erasing trick when there are a few places I want exposed (like erasing hilights.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:07 AM   #30

Eric CAN wrote:
Quote:
Geoff, with PSE2 there's I think a way to do it ; using the mask tool. But I don't know how. Think there's plugins or actions you could get.

But there's the other way around, use the eraser tool instead. So what you do is duplicate a layer, apply anything you wish (blur, USM, highpass, etc) to that layer then erase anything you don't wish that filter to be effective. So you erase lets say anything but a bird, so the bird has USM applied, the rest not.
The way I found to do this in PSE2 was to use the Selection Brush Tool. Depending on the thing that you want to select, you'll choose a brush shape and size that is appropriate. I chose Mask Mode for the tool with an opacity of 20%. The choice of overlay color is arbitrary - typically something that shows up well on the colors you are applying the brush.

Then (and this is important), I find that I have to invert the selection.

At this point, apply USM as directed originally and the only areas getting sharpened will be the selected areas.

This is really neat stuff...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote