Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:37 PM   #1

I was entertained by a Willet couple who were protecting their nesting grounds. It took a few moments for them to accept my close proximity, but once they did they focused attention on attacking crows that attempted to get too close. Otherwise, they just did what they do best...look wonderful. Here are a few views. I added one Killdeer at the end, which was really the first subject of the afternoon.

Any critique, both positive and negative, is welcome on this one. I played with exposure and white balance quite a bit on these and tried my best to keep the ISO down to 200 or less. If you look closely at the background you will see evidence of the WB experiments. The flying ones are obviously at a higher ISO and I didn't expect to get great results on them, since the Rebel gets slightly grained at 800 ISO. Neat Image was not used. Only USM was used on these ones. No flash.

Initial reaction at me attempting to get closer

Checking me out

Getting used to me and pruning

Both mom and dad (I liked the perspective on this one so I posted it)

Last shot before going home, immediately after it had dug into the muck to find some morsel for the kids I'd say (I think he was glad to see my butt get smaller). However, I did thank him for the photos.

Killdeer (just because I love the eyes on this bird)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:33 PM   #2

ohh...nice series norm!

i really like the first one...so sharp..great colors....good pose...

second one has fabulous motion, and the blur adds alot!

the third one has really cool feathers! and still is as sharp as the first one...

the fourth one looks like he's scratching his neck like a dog does...face and all!

the fifth one, i really like the fence in there..i think it adds...of course...it would be perfect if the were flying towards you...but it's nice like this too...

the sixth one, is beautifully sharp too....and has a nice pose..with the nice addition of the "muck" is his beak

the last one is nice....darn beautiful eyes! nice reflection too!

ok....nice series

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:47 PM   #3

Just beautiful shots. I think the flight shots are perfect. Just enough blurring to give the shot action. And the killdeer is just a fantastic capture.
photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:49 PM   #4

Thanks for being so specific, Vito. I hope you are not suppressing the "negatives" as I also love your negatives, since it gives me a focus to work on. Please, when I ask for critique, be brutal as well as nice. Thanks!

By the way, I fully agree with the "towards you" comment. Wow, that would have been nice indeed.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the comment photo_mage
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:56 PM   #6

ok...you asked for brutal...lol

i can't be brutal...it just isn't "me" but, i can be picky

the last shot and the fourth one could be sharper, but really, i can't see anything wrong with the others....let me look harder

the DOF in them are great, the whole bird in focus....with the background far out of focus..

if you want something to work on, try getting more "Action"...this may be a tough request if the bird isn't doing anything, but, the second shot would be amazing if you somehow got the head in focus (some weird circular panning?! lol)

maybe "action" isn't the right word....try to catch it doing something it would normally do, if you weren't there, something that is "natural" for it to do...

maybe some nice lighting too...lol...like, a beautiful shot, would be if it had an orange tint of half the body, like it was sunset...but that throws a monkey wrench into the picture because you gotta expose for the less light....

i really wish i had the patience to try this myself...i've tried, and had no success, and got frustrated, and went back to still life...it doesn't move...lol...it works for me

well..hope this helps

there isn't anything i can be brutal about for these shots...they are very nice....

Vito
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:01 AM   #7

Thanks Vito
Old Jun 27, 2004, 9:31 AM   #8

These shots are great, so clear:-)Ive never seen this kind of bird before.

Thanks for showing so many different birds Norm, There are quite a few Ive seen in here from people posting that Ive never seen before. I guess the same would be said if I had the chance to shoot some of our beautiful bird life in Oz. Right now where I live Ive got heaps of crows, maggies, seagulls, pigeons and honeyeaters. On the shore front we get pelicans and cormorants. If I go down to the bird walk in the wetlands about 2ks from town you can see bright colored parrots but Ive yet to catch a shot.

The funny thing is that Ive never been fussed by birds at all until recently since Ive tried catching a shot of them. Now Ive got the DSLR Im afraid Im becoming obsessed (at least thats what the hubby and son think)

My sister in law is obsessed with photographing frogs with her film camera and spends heaps on film:-)so Im glad I went digital.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 4:14 PM   #9

wat's so wrong about being obsessed?

Vito
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:39 PM   #10

From what I've seen of your recent work, I suspect that we are really going to be blown away by some of your future posts. You appear to have an ability to hold that new camera of yours nicely and you also seem to have some "art heart" in the area of composition and lighting.

Keep up the great work