Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:07 AM   #1

Normcar inspired me to review some shots I'd written off because they weren't to my (too) high standards. And I found this shots mixed in with some slightly out of focus shots (DOF wasa bit pff so the feet were good, but the head was not.) A bit of editing and I think it came out well.

I had a tough time keeping the breast from blowing out and trying to retain detail in the shadows under the wing. Took some work with layers but I think I achieved it (the amount of contrast I wanted to use was killing that shadow.)

Tell me what you all think!

Camera: 10D 600mm 1.4TC f5.6 1/3000 ISO 400
Photoshop: neatimage, curves, lotsa layers, crop, resize, sharpen

Eric

ps. I'm kicking myself that I left it on 400ISO. Imagine this at 100 or 200 with more DOF! Oh well, maybe next time.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:18 AM   #2

Wow, it this was on the back burner, then feed me! Excellent photograph of a wonderful bird, with personality.

Excellent crop as well. I don't notice ISO on this because the spectacular capture keeps my eyes focused on what should be the focus. I'm not sure if a stop of ISO would make this better, Eric, honestly speaking. It's a great shot, period. Ahhh, look at that perfect little beak! The eye reflection, man, what do you feel needs to become perfection.This is an excellent photograph, period

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:30 PM   #3

I wanted to apologize for the picture disappearing. Obviously the picture was around long enough for Normcar to post a comment, but it disappeared not long after that for most of the day.

But it's back now, so hopefully more people get to see it and tell me what you think.

Eric

Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:37 PM   #4

Beautiful shot Eric, I reckon the signature of a top L glass

Well done
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 8:50 PM   #5

What do you think of the crop? This is actually wider than I originally wanted to do, but I went with it. I almost feel there is too much dead space in the upper left... but the background is so nice, maybe that makes it seem less empty?

Eric
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:37 PM   #6

nicely done eric! i like the crop...i don't think it would look as good cropped tighter

nice work in ps!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:52 PM   #7

Swallows are very pretty birds. My dad's barn is full of them, but they move pretty quickly.... so far the only attempts I've made have either been empty because either the bird was too fast or I was too slow with the shutter button, or they've been blurred because the birds are so quick. Nice photo, it's beautiful, I like the crop just fine, too!
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:36 PM   #8

Gosh, Eric! This picture is fantastic by my standards. Obviously, your standards are set unbelievably high.

I think the feather detail is superb and you caught the irridescence of the blue on the tree swallow's head. The detail on the legs is sharp too. A+ in my book...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:30 AM   #9

It's interesting you mention how sharp the leg is. The problems I was having with some other pictures in this series is that the leg was amazingly sharp (like this one) but the head was slightly out of focus. It might have been movement, but it might have been that the DOF was a little off. I couldn't tell, really.

But in this one I found the head was just as sharp as the legs... and I knew I had a winner. I love the light& color on the head too. Really turned out well.

Eric
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:34 AM   #10

Sure, I could imagine that if the f-stop isn't set high enough, you could capture well focused legs but out of focus heads. OTOH, oftentimes with perching birds, the legs are kept quite still but the head is being frequently rotated or moved in various ways so the bird can keep an eye on surroundings, so perhaps it was movement causing some of your problems.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote