Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:51 PM   #1

I laughed so much today, found 3 juvenile and the parents eating in crabaple tree. The juvenile are already learning to talk to each other. But what's so funny is, the language is not polished yet, so it sounds as if they have a cough, LOL

This is one of them, he was hilarious - eating upside down, but then what to do ? He dropped and he managed to do a cat trick by straightening himself while falling :lol:

Then he decided to try this again, but this time on the other side- as if he could show me he's good at this :lol:

Listen to how the parents sound, I just love it !

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/program...Chickadee1.ram

Cheers everyone
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:57 PM   #2

nice shots eric! great sharpness and DOF and cool pose too!

i love that soundbyte....i hear that at my house ALL the time..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:20 PM   #3

I've had my share of entertaining moments from these little guys as well. Nice captures as usual.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:49 PM   #4

Very good shots of a fun bird to observe, Eric. These are acrobats in the bird world - they go every which way when exploring for insects and seeds among the branches and twigs of the trees or shrubs they frequent. They are also not that afraid of humans as you can with some persistence get them to eventually fly to and perch on your hand - I've almost got them to do this, but I had a friend who was a chickadee magnet.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:48 AM   #5

The thing that I personally notice about these birds is that they seem to have at least 2 different songs, and maybe more. And, geoff, in the area of calls, I've noticed that the waxwing "purr" is almost like the sound of a cricket, have you noticed that? I'm really beginning to notice the sounds of birds lately, which is kind of nifty. I find myself saying, hmm, a waxwing is up in that tree (even though I don't see it), or, that's only a robin, or ack, stop that radical screech blackbird. Of course the yellow warbler's omnipresent call is frustrating because it sounds like they are near but they are not...what unbelievably powerful vocal cords!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 2:15 AM   #6

The waxwing sounds do include some quavering whistles that can sound like a cricket's sound. In my experience there's a bit of variation as some sounds are a much smoother whistle versus the more quavering one. I don't know if that is a variation among individuals or if it can occur within the same individual.

Learning the calls and songs of birds will happen naturally once you start birding, unless you're a total dork, which I know you are not :-) Id'ing the bird visually and observing it for awhile enables you to hear its sounds and the association starts to "stick". As you mentioned, pretty soon you're walking through the outdoors id'ing birds by sound and never even glimpsing them visually. People who aren't birders think that that is amazing but it's just a natural consequence of being an interested observer of these animals. Now, there are a good number of birds whose songs are very difficult to correctly associate because other species have similar songs that differ only in technical ways (for instance, this is true among warblers - it takes a very keen ear).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:24 AM   #7

Really nice action shots.

That must have been fun to watch.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:36 PM   #8

I won't quote anyone, I agree with all

Norm, the Chikedees are very 'smart' birds indeed. Been observing them alot since November and read about them. Everytime, wherever I am I go, I hear them, I smile, they are the kind of birds I like to hear and watch. Been reading that our human hear can't distinguish much what's going on, but these birds been observed alot and they can actually call each other with a different tonality, each "chikedee sound" means something different. Yesterday while watching them and laughing alone, I saw the 3 juvenile following each other from one branch to the next and they were calling each other all the time. Then saw one of the parents coming to teach them "how to" and still mouth feeding them from time to time.

As for Waxwing, my observation is the same as Geoff, they have that "criket" sound they will use when lets say on top of the tree , a couple looks for berries, then they will whistle instead to keep contact to each other while flying. I'm pretty much certain that in the world of birds, there's much more going on language wise than what we can perceive as a neophyte, just like my observation of Chikedee.

Another species who's not affraid of human are the Common Redpole, last winter while standing with my tripod to take shots of them (my 1st encounter), one female decided to land at the end of my zoom lens, lol !

Tree Swallow can be incredible too, I seen photo of what I just described from the Redpole., I'll try to find them and post it here.

Last note, guys andgals... we share a common interest in both photography and birding, that's very precious, lets keep it this way. Seen some post recently indicating some friction in the making was at the door of us.

Cheers everyone
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:41 AM   #9

We used to have many chickadees around our house but over that last few years, they've been heavily hit by West Nile virus...a tragic loss. They are returning as I noted one morning by their two note, squeaky door hinge morning sound. Great shots...they are the true clowns of the birding world.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:31 PM   #10

RGRotts wrote:
Quote:
We used to have many chickadees around our house but over that last few years, they've been heavily hit by West Nile virus...a tragic loss. They are returning as I noted one morning by their two note, squeaky door hinge morning sound. Great shots...they are the true clowns of the birding world.

Indeed RGRotts, Chikedee are simply the funniest birds to watch, I never get bored of them and everytime I hear their famous "chikedee" song , makes me smile

I didn't know the virus would attack them. I think there's many variant of the virus, here its more the blackbird and Blue Jay that have been creating problems. Although so far we only count a few birds found every year in Quebec.

Cheers