Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:57 PM   #11

ok...reading wat the "pros" say, i think cropping it right below his feet, will look great, maybe a little on the right....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:57 PM   #12

hmm...impatience..lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:59 PM   #13

eric s,

I am all about the color and the detail in this shot it is amazing.

Can't relate to the kind of quality you continue to share with us.

Very pretty bird.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:06 PM   #14

The site I posted it on is www.naturephotographers.net. They are probably the leading nature photo sites on the web (although other places have caught up some, the quality that you find there is just consistantly amazing.)

And they are nit picky, that is party of why you post there. If I took that photo to a stock photo reviewer to have it "professionally" reviewed, I think these are the types of comments I'd get.

The only three that I really take seriously is adding more space to the left, and croping a bit off the log off. The first I am definitely going to do, the second is just an idea. On the surface, the log isn't the main point of the shot, and loosing some of it might enhance the picture (or it might not, as it counter balances the dark parts of the bird and make them stand out more.)

And I'll try shooting at f8. I don't know if the 600mm starts to looses some sharpness out there. One of the amazing things about this lens is that it doesn't improve as you stop down and then drop off. It's almost at it's best at f4, gets maybe a tiny bit better and then stays that way for a bit and then drops off. But I don't think I'd mind a little less sharpness (I can put it back in with PS I bet) and more DOF. If that leg on our right (its left) were sharp I'd be hoping around going "Yippity Skippity!" (Ok, its 11pm, and I'm a little silly today.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:26 PM   #15

Thank you for the url to that site Eric. The photographers there are quite the cream of the crop - phew...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:44 AM   #16

Just consider that, if you crop the log, you will lose the knots. More space on the left wouldn't be a mistake, but then again I don't personally think it needs it because the center of interest in this one is the eye to me, which is almost smack in the intersection of the traditional rule of thirds grid. Part of the greatness of the white in the log is the contrast it creates between non-color and dynamic coloration of the background, the bird becoming the subject and these other things being the dynamic framing.

I think it's great that you are willing to listen to other opinions, eric, but it's your work (masterpiece in the case of this photo)and make sure that, if you change something, it's because you personally feel it's necessary and an advantage, not because the one who told you works as a professional. Sometimes the word professional can get things out of focus.

I personally love it the way it is, except possibly a bit more on the left side, but that's all subjective stuff.

My input...don't you dare change it very much because, if you do, it will no longer be your work but someone else stretching your work out of focus.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:10 AM   #17

Interesting. I just did the measurements (roughly) and you're right, the eye is very close to the rule-of-thirds spot. It's a little off vertically (I think) but almost right on left-to-right. Luck, I have to admit (or subconscious?)... I just did the crop to what I thought was good and moved on.

I agree with you on the log. I think it serves a purpose. I wasn't really sold on the idea of cutting it out, but I'm willing to try it 'cause I didn't consider it the first time around. And I don't think it was 'cause I was brillant, it just didn't come to mind. Trying it is how I'd learn. Considering how much is below the toe (and I don't want to cut it off or get it too close to the edge) I don't think there is much that I really can cut off.

With this much talk about it I might do it tomorrow and post it. See what people think.

geoffs, cream of the crop is a good way to put it. I don't post there often because it can be rather intimidating. But I'm working on getting over that and posting any ways. (The quality leap of the 100-400 vs. the 600 f4 has helped a lot.)

Eric

ps. Thanks again for the great complements on the shot. It brings a smile to my face. I'm often a humble person (my take on it is that I'm not really that "special", I'm just me... one gets used to ones self after 30+ years) so its nice when people say nice things about your work.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:17 AM   #18

First, Eric, you deserve every compliment you get. Your work shows that you have a love and devotion to wildlife photography, especially birds. When you love the subject it makes the toil to get the images easier. So, don't be so humble - you've got to be good at receiving as well as giving (I didn't make that up - the sayings been around for 1000's of years... :-) ).

eric s wrote:
Quote:
one gets used to ones self after 30+ years
This statement brought a smile to my face as I'm pushing 50 now so I've got that many more years perspective. Actually, as you get to my age and older, you not only start getting used to one's self, as much as being resigned to one's self :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote