Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:26 AM   #1

I was 7000' up in the mountains and it was starting to get dark and got a couple shots of this cool looking bird. Couldn't get the best shots, light was not good and far away.

Any thoughts on the ID of this bird? Appreciate your help. the female was sitting next to him but all I got of her were blurs, bummer.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:42 AM   #2

It's one of 2 different bird species. Whichever one it is, you've got yourself a good one!

From the picture you've posted I'd say it was either a Pine Grosbeak or a White-Winged Crossbill. Crossbills are typically a bird of the far north this time of year but Pine Grosbeaks breed where you are.

A crossbill has a bill whose upper and lower tip is crossed over one another to either side. The picture isn't close enough for me to really see so I can't use that indicator to make a determination.

Did the female have a yellow crown and rump, white wingbars, and was it gray underneath? If so, definitely Pine Grosbeaks.

If the female was dull olive-gray with streaks and white wingbars, then you saw crossbills.

For now, I'd say you got a Pine Grosbeak.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3

Geoffs

From your description it is the pine grosbeak. Female had a yellow head.

Thanks much for the ID.

If you get a chance check out the Bullocks photos. I posted themper your request yesterday. Man they are hard to get a shot of. I chased them around for 2 hours last night. Couldn't get closer than 30 yards.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:27 AM   #4

Actually, it was my request (maybe he did too?) on the oriole picturesso I'll be checking them out shortly.

I agree on the pine grossbeak. To me, this bill doesn't looked crossed (but it is hard to tell.)

Nice going on the shot, considering how bad the light was. They are lovely birds.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:33 AM   #5

OOps! Sorry guys. I was talking with Geoffs on a different topic and got mixed up.

Thanks Eric s for taking a look at these shots. One of my favorite thing about the Oriole is its sound. I call it a "doink". It is a high pitched distinctive short note. Makes it easy to find them in the field.

There was a surprising lack of birds on our mountain trip. But this one made up for it.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:48 AM   #6

Glad I could add my two cents, and be correct, zoomn. At this rate, you are going to become a first class birder in no time at all :-) (And so will normcar, eric s, eric CAN, and hummer if they aren't already).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote