Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 5, 2004, 4:21 PM   #11

Sure enough Eric S, you have a picture of an ovenbird. It's tough to get a clear picture of them I would imagine, since as I had mentioned, they love the ground level and underbrush. I await your other pictures, as I am sure Norm and Eric CAN do too. If all of you don't mind accepting what I offered up, I'd like to wait and see if all of you can come up with pictures and somehow we'll determine which seems the best.

BTW, the page you pointed at has a picture labeled 'mystery1' which I can identify for you. That bird looks to be a female Yellow-Rumped (used to be known as Myrtle's) Warbler. Note the yellow rump (aha!), streaks along the sides, yellow at the upper sides, wing bars, incomplete eye ring, and general olive-brown coloration.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:01 PM   #12

I believe the mystery1 was identified as a yellow rumped when I put this forward. I'm in a large an active birding group, so when I can't identify something I add them to a gallery of what I saw that day and see what they think. Several people in the group enjoy my mystery birds.

I would not be surprised if others could produce some better oven bird shots than I have. That one was around for about 15 seconds and then it flew away. I got 3 shots, of which that is the best. My other opportunity (in the other thread) was not very good either, but for other reasons.

I could scream "Changed the rules! He changed the rules!" but I don't mind. I already have The Sibley Guide to Birds and his bird behavour book (both autographed, he gave a talk to raise money for my birding group.) So while I'd enjoy getting the eastern guide (as it's smaller and has much newer maps) I won't be crushed if someone else got it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:24 PM   #13

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I could scream "Changed the rules! He changed the rules!" but I don't mind.
Did I change any rules? If I did, it was inadvertant. Just let me know and I'll stand by what I wrote. You should mind! :-)
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:24 PM   #14

Question is, did Eric S shot these before the contest opened ? If he did it today, then he wins

Good idea there Geoff, I don't really need a bird book , got 3 of them here, but if someone else wins, I'll be happy for him

So its open, unless photographed these today

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:28 PM   #15

I think Eric S was commenting on the "first one to post" statement that was originally made. I believe that I was overlooking that when Eric S posted his pictures because I knew that Norm hadn't even had a chance to see your challenge and my prize offer because he doesn't usually even login to the board until evening on his slowwww dialup link.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:01 PM   #16

Unfortunately I didn't get to shoot today (not even out the door for more sparrows and cardinals.) I had to fix my parents computer after a pop-up ad infestation (have I saw how much I hate MS lately?) and then I needed to edit some shots for printing. I wish I had seen an oven bird.

Really.... I just took it up as a challenge to find and edit those oven bird pictures. It was fun and challenging to get them into decent shape (considering what they were out-of-camera.)

I would be very shocked if I could find an oven bird, but we'll see what next weekend brings. I know where I saw one before, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote