Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:17 PM   #1

I'd say this is my first photo of a bluebird but then I'll probably discover that it's not even a bluebird. In any event, it's a beaut, and I sure had fun catching this shot when one kindly landed close-by for a few secs.

I'd appreciate either a confirmation or a negative on the bluebird idea, thanks. If possible, please indicate what kind of bluebird as well, as I see that we have Western, Eastern, Mountain...and probably a dozen more that I've never heard of.

Thanks!

Cropped

Full frame, reduced in size but not cropped

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:14 AM   #2

Well, you've managed to grab yourself some images of a beautiful bluebird alright. It seems like I request and you fulfill - what a deal! :-)

Now, as to what type of bluebird... The range maps that I've looked at don't show the Western Bluebird in your area. Do you have some local experts that believe that Western Bluebirds have extended their range into central Alberta? More likely, what it seems you've gotten photos of is the juvenile or immature Mountain Bluebird. You don't have to worry about Eastern Bluebirds as they aren't even close to being in your area.

Mature male Mountain Bluebirds won't have any red on their chests at all, just blue. Females have gray-brown breasts.

(Added later: Norm, I just took a good long look at that bird and it's amazing the detail you captured in those feathers and legs!)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:26 AM   #3

Thanks geoff, I'm really happy with this photograph technically (especially since the bird landed for about 3 seconds and then scattered)and am happy that it really "is" a Bluebird. I'll let you know what the other experts have to say about it when they post their thoughts.

PS - with my FZ10 and 1.5 converter I could have gotten even closer to this little guy. And you don't need the Panasonic converter to get a goodphoto. Check out Shene's posts in the Panasonic forum for more info on converters.

Thanks again

Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:36 AM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I'll let you know what the other experts have to say about it when they post their thoughts.
Please do.

Quote:
PS - with my FZ10 and 1.5 converter I could have gotten even closer to this little guy. And you don't need the Panasonic converter to get a good photo. Check out Shene's posts in the Panasonic forum for more info on converters
Hint, hint, right? :-) Well, I've accepted your sage advice as I've written in the Female Mallard thread. Thanks!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:58 AM   #5

It's a great camera, you'll love it because the majority of your shots will be outdoors and from a distance. It takes okay indoor shots too. You'll love it!
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:01 AM   #6

Normcar that is just a perfect shot on that bluebird. The color and the feather detail are amazing. That is really quick work to get such a good shot in just a couple seconds. Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes.

You can explore for a couple hours and nothing, then boom a blue bird lands right in front of you. Good stuff.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:00 AM   #7

Great shots! I am always amazed at the quality of the pictures in this forum, and yours are always top notch!

I have to learn to be less surprised when birds land close to me when I'm out with my camera. I see the movement and my head snaps in that direction and scares the bird off! :roll:
photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:00 PM   #8

Nice shot Norm.

I got my 100-400L along with 10D, so took some shot over the weekend. Here is my blue bird from CA.

This little guy patiently sat there as I moved slowly towards him by crawling on the road.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:47 PM   #9

Thanks all of you guyz for the responses. Bobbyz, it appears that you have found an excellent combination, great photos, sharp with a beaut of a background. Be careful with all of that great equipment when you're crawling around in the dust, though :-)